Spheros 14000FB upgrade

Started by toygtr, May 19, 2013, 01:47:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toygtr

Just wondering,
I know people do the bearing in the drive gear upgrade replacing the plastic bushing on the 14000FB Spheros, but ive seen other bearings that can be changed. Im going to do the drive gear one and thinking of doing more.
Has anyone done the upgrade from bushes to these bearings as in this link in the other parts of the reel?
They replace the bushes for a bearing on the Worm Shaft as well as the Oscillating Shaft?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111071650959?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Has anyone done it?
Was it worth it?
Did you notice any difference? Or would there be even if you cant feel it?
Was it just a easy swap or did you have to modify anything to make fit?
Thanks all, hope someone can help.
Kelvan

johndtuttle

Quote from: toygtr on May 19, 2013, 01:47:59 AM
Just wondering,
I know people do the bearing in the drive gear upgrade replacing the plastic bushing on the 14000FB Spheros, but ive seen other bearings that can be changed. Im going to do the drive gear one and thinking of doing more.
Has anyone done the upgrade from bushes to these bearings as in this link in the other parts of the reel?
They replace the bushes for a bearing on the Worm Shaft as well as the Oscillating Shaft?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111071650959?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Has anyone done it?
Was it worth it?
Did you notice any difference? Or would there be even if you cant feel it?
Was it just a easy swap or did you have to modify anything to make fit?
Thanks all, hope someone can help.
Kelvan

The more you do (as long as you don't make mistakes) the more rigid and stronger your reel will become. Fundamentally, the spheros is limited  by the quality of the gears etc so you won't necessarily make it last forever with these various upgrades, though the harder you push your reel the more benefit you might get (more force = binding and twisting and the bearings will reduce that). Unfortunately the frame, handle and side plate are not as rigid as more expensive models (you would only notice this with a big fish on) so additional bearings can only do so much.

Is it worth it. Yes/No, you cannot convert a Spheros into a Saragosa no matter what you do. I would do it for kicks and grins and have a great time doing it and find it worth it for that. But you are not going to transform the reel. Just hot rod it for fun, but it will never be a ferrari.

best

toygtr

Yeah I have 4 of them, 3 with 50lb braid and 1 with 30lb.
I use the 50lb loaded ones for shark fishing off the beach. Biggest is 2.7m. 30lb loaded one is used for catching big Australian salmon and talior for bait and mulloway.

I've had no problems with the reels so far but was thinking it would make them a bit stronger, smoother and maybe last a bit longer. Im upgrading to saragosa handles as I like the egg shaped rubber knob over the standard or aftermarket power knobs aswell.

While doing the handle and had it apart to do the drive bearing I was thinking of doing these bearings too.

Just wanted some educated feedback as im new to modding and stripping down reels and to see if it was worth it and if any one had done it. Think it would be fun too. lol ;)