calcutta 250

Started by realmedic, December 29, 2009, 06:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realmedic

alan,

i have a calcutta 250 which i have been using as a bass swimbait reel. i love this reel. im having a major problem here as im not set up to remove the screw that is broken off in the frame. the screw is one of those you turn with your hand. i was taking it apart to clean it as i had gotten this reel used.
are youi set up to remove screws broken off in the frame?
i know i could send the reel to shimano but they take so long its pitifull.

RD

alantani

ugghhhh!  this is going to be ugly.  it's broken and and it's flush with the surface of the frame, isn't it.  one possibility is to take the cutting wheel of a dremmel and cut a slot.  you are going to be cutting into the top of the busted off screw shaft AND into the meat of the frame.  then use a flat head screw driver and coax it out.  i don't think that soaking it in liquid wrench or heating it with a pen torch first will make a difference. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

Quote from: realmedic on December 29, 2009, 06:30:09 PM
alan,

i have a calcutta 250 which i have been using as a bass swimbait reel. i love this reel. im having a major problem here as im not set up to remove the screw that is broken off in the frame. the screw is one of those you turn with your hand. i was taking it apart to clean it as i had gotten this reel used.
are youi set up to remove screws broken off in the frame?
i know i could send the reel to shimano but they take so long its pitifull.

RD
soak it for a few days in a good penetrant, then get a good center punch and punch the screw dead center. then drill a starter hole starting with a small bit. gradually step up to larger bits then use an easy out. a drill press works best for drilling it as perfect as possible. last resort is drill out  the screw as much as possible with out touching the threads, then use a punch to peel out excess screw. sometimes i have better luck with four sided easy out's, but the spiral one's work too.

realmedic

Quote from: alantani on December 30, 2009, 03:55:41 PM
ugghhhh!  this is going to be ugly.  it's broken and and it's flush with the surface of the frame, isn't it.  one possibility is to take the cutting wheel of a dremmel and cut a slot.  you are going to be cutting into the top of the busted off screw shaft AND into the meat of the frame.  then use a flat head screw driver and coax it out.  i don't think that soaking it in liquid wrench or heating it with a pen torch first will make a difference. 

yup it sure is alan. flush with the frame it is. and it sure looks uglier then anything ive seen as far as reels go. this is one of my favorite reels. but i can see why i got it cheap  :o