Looking to buy a saltist or 2

Started by dchfm123, May 19, 2013, 07:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchfm123

I have decided I want to get a few saltist.  I am looking at the 30 size with star drag.  My question is, is the new black gold version better than the older?  What are the differences besides the anodized finish?

fastfishin85

I don't know the diffrences between the old and new being this is the first daiwa I've owned,new bg 30h,but its a pretty nice reel for the money,aluminum frame and sideplates,cast aluminum I think,nice loud clicker,decent free spool outta the box,great once the bearings are clean,oiled and open,carbon fiber drags,which were very well greased outta the box,and decent stock handle and arm,pretty nice reels

alantani

still not happy with the ambassaduer style dogs in these reels.  i'd recommend the torium 16 or the tld star 15/30 (both with upgrades).
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mhc

Alan, is it the dog's post failing that you are concerned about? I've seen your post with the dog support/post sheared off and have bought a 2nd hand 40HA with the post pulled out leaving a hole in the frame.
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

alantani

not just that.  the dogs themselves can not catch in time.  under to much pressure, the AR bearing will slip.  that slight backwards motion will cause the dogs to engage.  but they fail also (and they have before) then the handle can fly backwards and cause injury.  with he shimano trinidads and toriums, you have an option of installing a spring loaded dog. 

dchfm123

I'm not going to be using them for jigging or anything like that.  Mainly just surf fishing, casting for sharks, and trolling for kings, Spanish, and such.  So I guess my next question is do the anti revers dogs fail from jigging or just the pressure of large fish in general?

fastfishin85

I think they fail from 1 not maintaining them,2 from increasing the drag range to high for the bearing to take,the stock shimano arb bearings are good to about 15 pounds of drag or so in the torium,i would figure the saltists is right there with it

alantani

Jeri

Hi

We have had a few problems with these reels – the B&G came available here about 12 months ago, and whether it was a bad batch or a design problem. The reels were being used for surf fishing, and without warning after a cast, the dogs on the pinion gear would shear off, and leave the angler with a lot of handlining to regain their tackle.

Happened to one client with two reels straight out of the box – one was the third cast, the replacement the second cast. He then got very tired of the Diawas, and we sold him a Finnor OFC30, been using it for big sharks ever since.

Even on the earlier Diawas, SL & SW series, they recognised the weakness of the brass pinion gear at that point and fitted a strengthening ring outside engagement area.

Personally, I would recommend that you look at the Finnor range, we have been using and abusing them for 3 years and haven't had a single issue with them, they seem to be more robust in the build, bigger bearings, and can be tuned up to go really fast for casting. Factory fitted with cabontex drag washers, and it would seem they have cured the very early handle problems.

Even when they first came out, thought that Diawa would probably try to copy these reels, as they were and still are a step above the Saltist models.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

dchfm123

Well I ended up buying a penn TRQ25.  After reviewing all the features and being able to easly change the gearing I figured it was the right way to go.  I got it new in box for 326.00 on ebay.  The seller has 3 left if anyone is interested.  It has the 5.4 to 1 gear ratio.