Why now? My tax return isn't in for another month!

Started by Mandelstam, May 20, 2013, 09:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

Just when I've decided to try out this thing called lever drags and I'm browsing around looking for a good candidate I stumble upon this on an auction site.

Almost $600, a bit too big maybe, but what a beauty she is... ABU Ambassadeur 30.  And why do you always find stuff like this when you are basically living from hand to mouth and you had to repair your car and not the same day as say your tax return shows up? Right now all we can afford is food on the table and diapers for the little one.

But I guess dreaming is still free of charge.

...they say that dreams are growing wild just this side of burma shave... - Tom Waits
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Bryan Young

Wow, nice reel.  That's the first I've seen one of those.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jlezama

It is indeed a pretty reel Karl. What makes me wonder about abu lever drags is: why did they stop making them? At least the last time I checked in the swedish website, not much lever drag action was happening...
My personal dream is the Morrum.... Dang that looks like a nice reel!

wallacewt

looks solid if the lugs are anything to go by.what about those side plates?

Mandelstam

Quote from: jlezama on May 20, 2013, 10:10:00 PM
It is indeed a pretty reel Karl. What makes me wonder about abu lever drags is: why did they stop making them? At least the last time I checked in the swedish website, not much lever drag action was happening...
My personal dream is the Morrum.... Dang that looks like a nice reel!

"The Abu 20 and 30 were introduced in 1975 and lasted only 10 years. Stainless steel with heavy chromed brass spools, they were heavy in comparison to other lever drag reels of the day. They were also stronger and more user-friendly. The names '20' and '30' indicated line class in pounds, but capacities were woefully small for a game reel and neither was capable of loading 1000 yards of their line class." - www.fishingmonthly.com.au/

$600 isn't so bad, they go for double if in mint condition. I just hope I'll find me one when I have the means to buy one. I'm not interested in a perfect leather case or if it comes with all papers, a box or you name it. I want to fish it! :)

And I agree with you, the Mörrum looks to be an awesome reel.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Mandelstam

Robert Janssen

Yes, i like to agree. They are cool.

Usually not so expensive as mentioned though, since that European price reflects the current value of the USD. Usually more like $300-400 in the U.S.

"... but capacities were woefully small for a game reel and neither was capable of loading 1000 yards of their line class." - www.fishingmonthly.com.au/

"woefully small" is a comment by someone who obviously didn't look into it much. Capacities of 550 yds of their respective line class was completely normal*. I can't think of a reel offhand that DID hold 1000 yds of their line class**. IIRC the Penn International Wides of the time only held roughly 800 yds.

The bronze spool was heavy though.

Quote from: jlezama on May 20, 2013, 10:10:00 PM

Well, i haven't yet found anyone who knows for sure / actually gave the order, but it seems they'd had their day is all. Abu did have a couple of smaller lever drags in their lineup later on, but not at all of the same caliber or heritage. I've been wishing, petitioning and hoping they would pick up on a proper offshore series again, but nowadays, being part of PF with Penn and everybody, there just isn't much reason to. Bummer. Of course i don't agree entirely, but bummer nonetheless.

*the page from Tight Lines refers to meters of 0.55 mm line. That's what- maybe 45 lb test or so.
**maybe the Hardy ZG of the '80s. Not sure.

wallacewt