finnor ofc 16h rebuild

Started by alantani, November 02, 2009, 05:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

finnor ofc 16h rebuild - 12/1/2009

a good friend from lousiana send this reel to me at the beginning of the year.  it sat for several months before i was able to go through it, then the photos have sat until now.  

according to the website http://www.finnorfishing.com/offshoreconv.html , it has a cast aluminum frame, carbon fiber drag washers and a 6.2 to 1 gear ratio.  it'a a very nice looking reel!

i found this in the pamphlet that came with the reel.  it reminds me of a car salesman saying "no reasonable offer refused."  I know this kind of disclaimer is necessary, but it doesn't mean that i have to like it.  

i wasn't able to find the schematic on-line, so don't lose your hard copies.

let's start by removing the left side cover (key #35).  back out the three cover screws (key #38).

wow!  looks alot like a daiwa saltist.  i'm going to open up the left side spool bearing (key #31).

actually, let's take a minute to get this spool out of the way.  the brakes fall off easily.  never been a fan of these.  a little masking tap will keep the spectra from getting too greasy.

back out the spool click spring screw (key #27).

remove the spool click spring (key #28) and bearing retainer (key #29).

the left side plate bearing (key #31) is 6x12x4mm.

the bearing was opened up, cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air, and relubed with xtreme reel +.

back in it goes.

install the bearing retainer (key #29), the click spring (key #28) and the spool click spring screw (key #27).

the right spool bearing (key #25) is 8x16x5mm.

for maximum freespool, this bearing will also be opened up, degreased and lubed with xtreme reel +.

install the spool assembly (key #44).

install the left side cover assembly (key #35).

install the left side cover screws (key #37) and you are done servicing the spool bearings.  this is also as far as you will need to go for your routine service.  bearings are always the first things to fail.  at the very least, pull the side plates on your reels and lube the bearings now.

onward!  remove the bolts for the rod clamp assembly (key #67), grease the bolts and re-install them.

now for the right side plate.  remove the handle nut screw (key #3).

remove the handle nut plate (key #1).

remove the handle nut (key #2) with a 10mm wrench.

remove the handle assembly (key #4).

remove the spacer (key #5).

unscrew the drag star (key #6).  

remove the bearing washer (key #66) and click spring assembly (key #65).

remove the two spring washers (key #64).  the are installed in a "()" orientation.

remove the bearing washer (key #63).

remove all three right side cover screws (key #13).

remove the right side cover assembly (key #14).

it still looks like a saltist.

remove the clutch (key #60) and the clutch sleeve (key #59).

here's what the drag stack looks like.

here you see the same ambassaduer-style dog (or anti-reverse pawl assembly (key #58).

carefully remove the a/r pawl (key #58) and the a/r ratchet (key #50) as a unit.  take care not to bend the springs of the pawl.

remove the yoke springs (key #21), the pinion gear (key #20), the yoke (key #22) and the yoke plate (key #23).  

remove the three screws (key #48-B) for the drive shaft retainer (key #47).

remove the drive shaft (key #49).

the drive shaft bearing (key #46) measures 8x14x3.5mm.

since this bearing does not affect freespool, i'll pack it with grease to give it the best corrosion resistance.

the felt drive shaft pad (key #45) goes in the center of the bearing.

re-install the drive shaft (key #49).

install the drive shaft retainier (key #47) and screws (key #48-B).

install the yoke plate (key #23).

install the yoke (key #22) and pinion gear (key #20) as a unit.

install the yoke spring washers (no key #).

install the yoke springs (key #21).

install the a/r pawl (key #58) and the a/r ratchet (key #50) as a unit.  check the function of the pawl.  if it does not "grab" properly, squeeze the leaf springs of the pawl together so that it does.  

as close as this reel appears in design to the daiwa saltist, i'll bet these will work.  

here are the carbontex drag washers in their proper order, and the stock drag washers ready to be tossed.

i'll apply a coat of cal's drag grease to each washer and reassemble the drag stack.  

install the clutch sleeve (key #59).

install the clutch (key #60).

salt will stick to any intermal metal surface that is not coated with grease.  take an old toothbrush and let's spread some of this grease around.

the drive shaft bearing (key #62) is 8x14x4 and has been quietly sitting in the right side cover.  remove it and set it aside.

install the right side cover assembly (key #14) with the clutch lever (key #11) in the forward or "in gear" position.

install the three cover screws (key #13).

open up the drive shaft bearing (key #62), pack it with grease, reshield it and place it back in the right side cover assembly (key #14).  

install the keyed bearing washer (key #63), the two spring washers (key #64) in a "()" configuration, the click spring assembly (key #65) and the plain bearing washer (key #66).

install the drag star (key #6) and tighten it down until the drag star clears the "shoulders" of the drive shaft (key #49).

install the spacer (key #5).

install the handle assembly (key #4).

install the handle nut (key #2).

install the handle nut plate (key #1).

install the handle nut plate screw (key #3).

and done!

now, for a few comments about this reel.  if you like the design, fit and finish of the daiwa saltist, you'll love the finnor.  unfortunately, it has the same ambassaduer-style dog and single anti-reverse roller bearing that has cause so much difficulty for me in the past.  like the saltist, this reel benefits greatly from a carbontex upgrade and bearing service.  overall, it's a very nice reel!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

alantani

i just spoke to roberta at finnor.  she says that the drag washers are now greased carbon fiber and that the reel is not licensed from daiwa. 

alantani

here's someone from south africa that really knows how to test a reel!

alan, i'm really a no expert in reels at all, i'm just a fisherman.  i have a finnor, had it now for almost 1 year.  it's not a 16 as the one u posted, but a 30. 
i have landed a few good bronze whalers with it ranging from 80 - 120 kilos, battled and landed a few great whites of over 100 kilos(i know, i know i'm guilty) all from shore.  however, in my humble opinion the reel has not taken enough strain and work out and the brass pinion gear has already gone (thats just after 1 year)....the teeth were bent and one could see LOTS of wear on them.  furthermore, what we have discovered, is that the bearing that sits under the main gear has ceased (it was welded by the heat and not operating at all).  as well as i have experienced the star drag thread give up on me as i was tightening it whilst fighting a bronzie (resulting in the stardrag simply going pop on me and not tightening the drag).  then the handle (the rubber handle itself) started giving problems as well and was almost falling off.  i would not recommend this reel for shark fishing, edibles mayb yes, definatelly not shark fishing

alantani

howzit alan! How you doing??

I bought a Fin nor ofc30H about 6 months ago when it was inroduced into South Africa. It came highly recomended by a guy who imported them from the UK a year or 2 prior.

Anyway, my friend and i opened it up to add grease and lubed the bearings. When we put it back together we immediately noticed something was wrong. It was noisy and you could feel vibrations through the handle. We spent hours takong it apart and putting it back together atleast 8 times trying to figure out what e had done wrong or what we hadnt put back in the reel. EVENTUALY it came right, we hadnt done anything different but it 'magicaly' came right. We thought that it must be the pinion gear that for some reason wasnt sitting properly causing friction.

we hd no clue as to why it was all of a sudden right however. Anycase i fished with it for a few months even though that in the back of my mind i knew something was just not right. ( i thought that maybe its just the way it should be) I then upgraded the reel with carbontext washers and again, when i put the reel back together the same problem came back. i spent hours putting it together, going to the beach and casting to try get it rigth but nothing would work. It would on occasion be quiter but it wasnt right.

I was determined to figure this one out, there was just no logical reason for this happening. I scanned schematics to triple check the parts but everything was correct. By now i had prity much given up
However in the back of my mind i still felt that something was wrong. I was confident that it could be no other reason other than the flippin pinion ear.

When you completed the fin nir rebuild on you site i had a look. and the answer hit me strait away. the problem was that there were no spacing washers that sit where the yoke  sits which was obvliously giving the springs too much movement. an of coarse those spacing washers are no where in the schematics!!!!

I have now put daiwa saltist spacing washers there and the reel is perfect. an absolute dream to cast and ith the carbontext washers in place its insanel strong. Now my question is, where were those dam washers to begin with??? we definately had not lost them!! why are they not in the schematics if they make such a huge difference....There have been a few complaints by guys in South Africa about the pinion gear failing, i wonder if this is not the case because these washers are not in these reels!! maybe it was just mine, i dont know....but if they are not in then that pinion is taking a hammering from that main gear which could cause it to wear and fail.

But at the end of the day i now have a beast of a reel which i am really happy with and have landed some descent sharks with!!

P.S, is there a way to modify the anti rverse dog like we can with the toriums?? does the daiwa SLH50 not have a similar spring that would fit?? as it seems some daiwa parts are interchangable . it just worries me that the drag is now too strong with carbontext washers in, and i actualy dont want to crank it u to the max

cheers

i read your pm carefully, several times.  i am actually at a loss to explain why you were having so much trouble.  my first guess was that you have a missing or totally failed right spool bearing.  there was at least one case of a missing bearing from a daiwa saltist.  the yoke washer should, in theory, make no difference at all.  i am not even sure why they are there.  most reels do not have yoke washers at all.  i can tell you one thing, though.  your report has certainly given me pause.  thank you very much, and i will continue to keep an eye out for similar problems.  alan

oh, and there is unfortunately no reliable spring upgrade for this reel.  wish there was.  

cfarmd

alan,

a little off topic, but do you know of a way to make the anti-reverse on the fin-nor offshore spinner infinite? there is a little play in there now that I would like to take out. I can send you the reel if needed. PM me with any info, many thanks

alantani

i don't know if the reel comes with an anti-reverse roller bearing, but many do.  an aftermarket modification is generally not possible. 

cfarmd

looks like I am stuck with it the way it is. No big deal just wanted to know what was possible. I'm going to break the reel down before spooling and grease it up good. Is there a good tutorial I can follow? I know this hasn't been a thread specific to the fin nor offshore but something close in design should suffice. Thanks!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i like what i see on this one and because of Jeri's(Cheers from sunny Africa) posts/opinions, the 16L is on my list now. another hole in my pocket... ;D

CapeFish

I am waiting patiently for the new model but there seems to be no sign of it on our shores