FIN-NOR REGAL 12

Started by Alto Mare, May 21, 2013, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I couldn't pass this one up

It appears to be in pretty rough shape, I'll see what I can do with it

I couldn't get the clamp bolts off, so I cut out slots for the screwdriver

Here are some shots of the tear down

Sorry I couldn't comment on every picture, photobucket isn't what it used to be.

And here are the parts ready for cleaning

And the cleaned parts ready for reassembly

The bearings  got cleaned and lubed

moving on to the drags, this one is some type of asbestos, Alan mentioned cork when he did his

scraped the old one off

the old washer was about 3mm thick. I was going to use (3) 1mm carbon washers, but wasn't crazy about that much epoxy, so I decided to shape one of the older 9500ss spinner's washer
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/117-9500.aspx
and it works like a charm

a little shaping and drilling and a perfect fit

glued it in place and set it aside

back to the reassembly

the plastic bumpers on the screw heads dry rotted, so I made some out of a screw thread protector

new washer nice and flat

slap on some Cal's and set it in place along with the spool shaft and left side plate

and here is the finished reel

As most of you guys know, I like star drags, but I must say....this is a nice little reel.
It is appro. 60+ years old, maybe that's why I like it.
When Alan did his wonderful break down on one of these, he mentioned 8lb of drags, I believe I could get double that and it could handle it. This reel has a lot of backbone.
Enjoy it!
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mandelstam

Beautiful work! And a Beautiful reel!

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Nessie Hunter

Good work, looks great... Before/after is sweet!!!!
That reel looks like a Tank, could handle a lot of drag, tough!!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

Great post Sal - that's a little beauty!
Great idea with the 9500 drag plate, too.
Thanks for sharing.
Will have to keep an eye out for one meself now ;)
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

BMITCH

Very nice Sal, thanks for posting.
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Yea Justin, that 9500 drag plate is a good option, besides, I had to place a penn part in there somehow ;D.

Wallace, are you happy now? I got me a lever drag. You know, I can't put this reel down.
By the way, free spool is about 50 seconds and that's with the old bearings.

In size, the reel is right between the 3/0 and 4/0, I didn't find specs yet, but I believe the ratio is 3.5:1.
The weight of the reel is 1lb 11oz.

Too bad it's a rare find, I thought of a way to replace the drags without glue, but I'm not taking a chance on this one...unless I find a spool.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Fish-aholic

Always appreciate your work, Sal. Thanks for the post!

wallacewt

when i seen the lever drag i thought"GOT IM" ;D ;D
its 1 all. i got a penn ss. you got this one.
leave the glued washer mate, they work great.
i wonder what changes for that reel are going
through your brain.we are watching ;)
cheers

Alto Mare

Yes buddy, I know that it will do just fine with glued washers, just trying to improve.
I don't believe I'll be doing anything to this one, unless I'll find another.
This particular reel is a good canditate for upgrades, but I will leave it alone, I like it too much.
Sweet little reel! ;)

heckrazr

Alto,

Great work.  I asked Alan this same question. Do you think the Regal 12 and the 12-20 light are of the same design?  I have a 12-20 light thats in great shape except for when putting the  lever all the way down to freespool, it kind of hangs up for a sec before releasing.
Maui is where the heart and soul belong.....very soon

Alto Mare

Hello Dave, it should be the same but I'm not 100%, maybe Alan or someone else will chime in.
As mentioned above, this was my first Fin-nor.
One thing I can tell you is that besides the clicker design, I was very impressed with this reel.
Take care.
Sal

harryk3616

great job sal, reel nice, enjoy your new reel, catch a big one.

Cone

Sal, great job of Penngineering on that Fin-nor.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

heckrazr

Sal,
I found out what was causing it to stick....there was some residual glue on the edge of the spool from the replacement of the cork drag....scraped it off with my fingernail and boom....no more sticky hesitation before freespool.  I took pics so maybe I should show what it takes to take the 12-20 Light Fin-Nor apart.

Dave
Maui is where the heart and soul belong.....very soon