REEL FACTS

Started by Norcal Pescador, May 24, 2013, 01:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Makule on December 03, 2013, 02:32:22 AM
While it is true that the man operating the machine has a lot to do with the results, it's equally true that machines (including reels) have an optimum operating range.  Using a 6/0 to catch river trout is somewhat unreasonable, as is using a bait casting reel to catch a 1000 pound marlin.

On another note, a guy I know is a retired auto mechanic.  He enjoys repairing stuff, including non-automotive.  I've advised him a few times, that just because something can be repaired doesn't mean it should be.  For example, his impact gun stopped working and he opted to buy the repair parts rather than just toss it in the trash (he has many impact guns, including better ones).  After the cost of the part and shipping, he spent more than if he had just bought another gun (same brand same model).  To make matter worse, it still didn't work because something else was wrong.  He then decided to toss the gun.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  If cost is not an issue, then buy the appropriate item for the job, get regular maintenance, and buy the best available to begin with.
If most would try to fix things instead of just buying new, we wouldn't be in the situation that we're in today.
Also, since this is a fishing reel related site, I'm going to keep on fixing and exploring with my older Penns instead of buying new ones.....just my 2 cents.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I can't throw anything away I can that I can fix, I hate waste. 

A few weeks ago I went out to a friends cousins farm to see if I could get their domestic water system fixed for the renters.  It took me 30 minutes and the pump repair crooks said it would be a $1000 job....they paid me $100.  In the pump house was the old pump that was replaced 6 years ago and I took it home to see if I could fix it.  A blow down to remove spiders, a $7.00 capacitor and 15 minutes is all it needed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

johndtuttle

High speed reels are great for "fishing". When your hook or lure is coming back empty they seem dreamy. When you suddenly hook a good fish, not so much.

Low speed reels are great for "catching". But will wear you out fishing artificials on them all day when the catching is slow. There is no free lunch other than 2-speed reels. Unfortunately, they are not free!

Get the best star drag reel in "3/0" size that you can afford. It will catch 95% of the fish in Continental USA saltwater, cast light baits/lures better and be more reliable than any other type. Everything else is just a vanity! You just think you need it, but you don't. :D

3/0 single speed reel for fishing 30# leaders generally, 2-speed reel for fishing leaders 40# and above, generally. You might not think you need a 2-speed reel but trust me, you do when something that really needs 40# leader is on the other end.

Spinning reels are for popping or casting other light lures. And watching a 150lb tuna with his back out of the water charging your lure is as exciting as it gets. I don't care what you use to try it but you gotta try it.

The modern large Low Profile conventional reel for SW is an absolute blast. As above, it should be on your bucket list to max the fun meter.

best

Newell Nut

X2 and that is why I have so many with 3.1 to 4.2 gears for bottom fishing.

jonathan.han

Why limit yourself to only one gear ratio? Power mode and lazy mode for retrieving bait/lures.
raw instinct

Ron Jones

K.I.S.S
A one speed, bearingless star drag has worked forever and will work forever. I don't think I'd know how to shift and I know for certain I don't want to try to remember how with the rod bent over and me holing on for dear life.

In all honesty, 95% of my salt water catches could be caught with a Baymaster or a Mitchel 300, and when you are using those and you hook into something bigger than you expected...life is good.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Lunker Larry

A good strong magnet is a great way to search on the floor for wayward screws, springs and clips.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

jonathan.han

Pelagic species or deep water fishing in excess of 400ft. is about the where you'd start to use a 2 speed. Anything inshore or requiring lighter applications you can stick with your baitcasters (low-profile), typical star drags, and spinners. KISS is pretty much universally understood in that arena. My freshwater gear and lighter nearshore gear is all single speed stars or levers for salt.
raw instinct

Big Tim

One constant on this site is: You will learn something, you will laugh & if you drink and repair you may cry...OK that's 3   ;D ;D ;D

johndtuttle

More Reel Facts:

One reel's 25lbs of drag is not another's.

A modern Big Game 50 X makes 25lbs reliably for huge fish that make 700 yard runs. Time and time again. This is about all the drag anglers can handle be they stand up, rail or chair fisherman, in general. Even reels this size get smoked by some fish.

It weighs 3 3/4 lbs. Kinda Boat Anchor like for holding in your hands. But they are built that heavy for a reason.

Smaller reels that make "25lbs" are only intended to do that on smaller grade fish that can easily be stopped short by that amount of drag. They excel at that particularly when there is structure to cut you off on the bottom. They are a joy to fish all day.

They cannot do so on a 500 yard run time and time again and not come to grief. They cannot be pushed to "Full" past that 25lbs to 30+ lbs and then get spooled and not likely be the worse for the wear. Modern small lever drags come in at about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs. They are built that light for good reason, to be a pleasure to fish. Especially for the more energetic techniques (Wahoo, yo-yo, vertical jigging etc.).

But the laws of metallurgy have not been repealed and they simply cannot do what true big game reels do and vice-versa. That Big Game reel is built 3 times heavier for a reason...Don't kid yourself that your lightweight 2-speed can do it all. You have made a trade off to go light and the short end of that trade is coming if you fish it long enough.

This is not a bad thing necessarily, just understand your gear and it's limitations and don't think it's something it is not.

best

reel doc

HI ALAN, ROB THE REEL DOCTOR. WHAT I HAVE FOUND TO CLEAN REELS WITH AFTER FISHING IN SALTWATER BABY SHAMPOO IT IS MILD AND FRESH WATER. I DRY THE REELS OFF AND SPRAY IT WITH INOX MX 3 THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST THAT I HAVE TRYED. AND THIS IS WHY. IT'S DISPLACE MOISTURE WILL NOT HARM METAL PLASTICS PAINT OR ANY FINISHES THAT I AM AWARE OF. DOES NOT DRY OUT GUM UP  OR STICKY AND IT DOES NOT WASH OFF WITH PLAN WATER. SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO SPRAY IT ON EVERY TIME YOU RINSE AND A CAN LAST FOR HUNDRED OF WASHING OR RINSES. AND IT IS FOOD GRADE APPROVED. AND KOSHER CERTIFIED. IT ALSO PENETRATE CORROSION LUBRICATES GOOD ON ELECTRONIC I CAN GO ON BUT READ IT ON LINE. AND I SPRAY IT IN MY REELS AND BEARINGS. IT HELPS A LOT. IT IS ONE OF THE BEST LIGHT LUBES I HAVE RUN IT TOO.  AND IT MAKES YOUR REEL LOOK LIKE NEW. PS I HAVE FOUND A NOTHER THAT WORKS WELL ALSO BUT I WILL SAVE IT FOR A RAINING DAY. THANKS..ROB

MarkT

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 03, 2013, 02:49:40 AM
While it is true that the man operating the machine has a lot to do with the results, it's equally true that machines (including reels) have an optimum operating range.  Using a 6/0 to catch river trout is somewhat unreasonable, as is using a bait casting reel to catch a 1000 pound marlin.

On another note, a guy I know is a retired auto mechanic.  He enjoys repairing stuff, including non-automotive.  I've advised him a few times, that just because something can be repaired doesn't mean it should be.  For example, his impact gun stopped working and he opted to buy the repair parts rather than just toss it in the trash (he has many impact guns, including better ones).  After the cost of the part and shipping, he spent more than if he had just bought another gun (same brand same model).  To make matter worse, it still didn't work because something else was wrong.  He then decided to toss the gun.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  If cost is not an issue, then buy the appropriate item for the job, get regular maintenance, and buy the best available to begin with.
If most would try to fix things instead of just buying new, we wouldn't be in the situation that we're in today.
Also, since this is a fishing reel related site, I'm going to keep on fixing and exploring with my older Penns instead of buying new ones.....just my 2 cents.

I do both.  I fix and enhance the ones I have and buy more new ones too.  I want my cake and eat it too!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Unutt

While it is true that the man operating the machine has a lot to do with the results, it's equally true that machines (including reels) have an optimum operating range.  Using a 6/0 to catch river trout is somewhat unreasonable, as is using a bait casting reel to catch a 1000 pound marlin.

On another note, a guy I know is a retired auto mechanic.  He enjoys repairing stuff, including non-automotive.  I've advised him a few times, that just because something can be repaired doesn't mean it should be.  For example, his impact gun stopped working and he opted to buy the repair parts rather than just toss it in the trash (he has many impact guns, including better ones).  After the cost of the part and shipping, he spent more than if he had just bought another gun (same brand same model).  To make matter worse, it still didn't work because something else was wrong.  He then decided to toss the gun.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  If cost is not an issue, then buy the appropriate item for the job, get regular maintenance, and buy the best available to begin with.

I agree if we are talking about appliances or tools, but reels are an entirely different thing for me.  Most of the old reels I buy will never again see the deck of a boat.  I just like to make them capable.    
So many reels, so little time.

basto

Me too!! repairing an old reel and getting it back to good working condition gives a great feeling of satisfaction, even if some parts have to be replaced.
I would have 3 times as many old Penns if I could get them as cheap as they are in USA.  (that`s probably a good thing)
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

otghoyt

Reel lube from the "Gun Guys".  Here it is............ Bull Frog Rust Hunter.  Best on the planet.  Gun lubed with Hopps in salt spray showed rust in 12 hours.  Gun lubed with Bull Frog rust Hunter in salt spray showed no rust in a week.  I use it on everything.  Cheap insurance and smells good too.  Check youtube vid.