alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial REEL FACTS
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 21, 2019, 12:17:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REEL FACTS  (Read 35999 times)
basto

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 07:21:39 PM »

Me too!! repairing an old reel and getting it back to good working condition gives a great feeling of satisfaction, even if some parts have to be replaced.
I would have 3 times as many old Penns if I could get them as cheap as they are in USA.  (that`s probably a good thing)
Basto
wothoyt

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »

Reel lube from the "Gun Guys".  Here it is............ Bull Frog Rust Hunter.  Best on the planet.  Gun lubed with Hopps in salt spray showed rust in 12 hours.  Gun lubed with Bull Frog rust Hunter in salt spray showed no rust in a week.  I use it on everything.  Cheap insurance and smells good too.  Check youtube vid.
Bill B (Tarfu)
Fish Nutritionist II
Sensei

Crestline, CA

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2015, 10:20:58 PM »

I had my senior moment today.....picked up an old 112H with post frames and torpedo handles yesterday, too late to do anything with it, so I day dreamed while at work today....got home grabbed a beer and turned on the tv while I tore it down...was pleasantly surprised to find carbon fiber drags already in it but they were dry and all the old grease was dry and hardened...so another beer and some scrubbing, new grease and time to put it back together...ohh and another beer....got the drag stack together, greased the screw holes and generally greased everything....watching tv and another beer....not in a big hurry to get it done, because this is supposed  to be fun.

Anyway all back together and the eccentric doesnt wok...wont move.....ok...tear it down....check the eccentric to make sure it moves correctly...back together...still doesnt work ......another tear down ad reassemble...still nada....ok check the tutorial on the rebuild....got everything ready to go back together....damn...still nada.

Long story short....had the bridge screws reversed and the yoke was hanging up on the threads....ohhh and another beer...think it's bed time for Bonzo.... Grin

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!
swill88
Photo Group

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2015, 06:26:39 PM »

Long story short....had the bridge screws reversed and the yoke was hanging up on the threads....ohhh and another beer...think it's bed time for Bonzo.... Grin

That happens to me too... except with vodka not beer...
steelhead_killer

Andy

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2015, 08:18:27 AM »

A dab of grease on the retainer clips prevents them from flying into space when you remove them!

><)))">
Lalo13

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2016, 09:44:32 AM »

A dab of grease on the retainer clips prevents them from flying into space when you remove them!
GEEEENIIIIOOOOUUUSSS !!!! In my best Pavaroti voice ...
mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2016, 12:48:19 PM »

NY State Black Sea Bass Fishing Rules are killing the fishing industry and have no scientific merit.

mrbrklyn

GNU/Linux User

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2016, 12:52:26 PM »

The gear ratio between 2 gears is determined by their respective diameters, and since the teeth have to be identical for the gears to mesh, their diameter is a function of the number of teeth. That's why you can just divide the number of teeth to get the ratio.

I hear this from time to time on this sight and it just doesn't make sense. If I have 10 teeth on 1 5 inch gear and 5 teeth on 1 2.5 inch gear I have a 2:1 ratio, end of story. Admittedly the teeth would be HUGE to make that work but you get my drift.

If I have 10 teeth on 1 2.5 inch gear and 5 teeth on one 1 inch gear the ratio is, you guessed it, 2:1! Although from a design standpoint gear size for a given ratio is needed for proper function, diameter has no impact on ratio.

Ron

no, the number of teeth is always irrelevant.  The physical leverage is determined by the radius of the  first and last gears

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: