REEL FACTS

Started by Norcal Pescador, May 24, 2013, 01:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

There are some things that never change (like death and taxes) in the realm of this forum. This topic is to provide constants in the world of this site - reels, rods, lubes, whatever.

I'll post a few, and please contribute as you think of them. Please stay on-topic, no opinions, and try not to repeat or X2 a posting. I'd like to see this as a quick reference for anyone needing hard and fast information.

If you dispute a posting, please do so respectfully and explain why you feel you are correct.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Norcal Pescador

A gear ratio can be determined by dividing the number of teeth in the main gear by the number of teeth in the pinion gear. The answer (quotient) is the ratio. This works for ALL gear sets.

The shorter the arm on a reel handle, the faster you will make a complete circle (and reel in line), but the harder the handle will be to turn. The opposite is true as a handle arm is lengthened.

Rob

BMITCH

Reality is a SS gear sleeve is one of the BEST upgrades you can do.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Ron Jones

The taller the spool, the faster the effective gear ratio of the reel.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Norcal Pescador

As line comes off the spool, the drag becomes more efficient (stronger).
Rob

Ron Jones

Sticky drags (start up) cause lots of big fish to be lost. Greased carbon fiber goes a long way to fix this.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

akfish

The first thing to go bad on a lever drag reel is (almost) always the pinion bearing.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

BMITCH

Cf drag material is a far superior to what (leather,felt.....) was used befor.
luck is the residue of design.

Bucktail

High gear ratio for speed.  Low gear ratio for power.
Just a jig-a-lo

Fish-aholic

If your in the middle of servicing a reel and reach a stage of total frustration, take a deep breath, walk away from it and take a break. Once calmed down, have another go. 

bluefish69

Quote from: Fish-aholic on May 29, 2013, 10:46:14 PM
If your in the middle of servicing a reel and reach a stage of total frustration, take a deep breath, walk away from it and take a break. Once calmed down, have another go. 

There is nothing like a cup of Coffee when you have a problem.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

nelz

Don't repair under the influence. The reel you kill could be your own. Don't drink and screw drive!

Ron Jones

Quote from: nelz on July 10, 2013, 08:38:56 PM
Don't repair under the influence. The reel you kill could be your own. Don't drink and screw drive!

That their is funny, I don't care who you are.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Bryan Young

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on May 24, 2013, 01:31:23 AM
A gear ratio can be determined by dividing the number of teeth in the main gear by the number of teeth in the pinion gear. The answer (quotient) is the ratio. This works for ALL gear sets.
I'm trying to wrap my head around this one.  For straight cut gears, I can see this, but for heliocut gears where you may have 3 or 4 gear teeth in contact...  Maybe I'm over thinking this thing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

You are overthinking Bryan.   ;D ;D