REEL FACTS

Started by Norcal Pescador, May 24, 2013, 01:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

It doesn't matter Bryan. Think about the center or lead or last teeth to mesh. If you mark one tooth on the main and one on the pinion and count teeth, it will work whether straight, angled, or helical cut.

Try this: Fasten a main gear to a board and mark a tooth, any tooth. Now mark a tooth, any tooth on a pinion gear. Insert a drill bit or something into the pinion that the pinion will spin on easily. Now line up the dots on the gears and move the pinion around the main gear keeping the teeth meshing as you go. Count how many times the pinion made a complete revolution. It should equal the gear ratio based on the formula for gear ratios.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Snagged2

for gear ratio,,
with the reel assembled,

make a mark on one side of the spool with a sharpie, greasepencil at a 12 o'clock position,, index the handle on something,, straight up 12' etc.. and roll the handle one revolution,, and count the number of times the "mark rolls by the index..

this will also give a rough estimation of gear ratio..

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on July 11, 2013, 11:39:41 PM
...move the pinion around the main gear keeping the teeth meshing as you go. Count how many times the pinion made a complete revolution. It should equal the gear ratio based on the formula for gear ratios.

Try that with a pair of quarters. Surprise!

(strangely, it doesn't work. The ratio between two identically sized wheels is undeniably 1:1. But when one orbits the static other, you'll find that it rotates twice.)

nelz

That's 'cause the moving coin has to make up for the lack of movement (rotation) of the other.  ;D

Norcal Pescador

Well harumph.  :-\    Maybe it's a good thing I said try this. ::)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Three se7ens

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 11, 2013, 10:11:04 PM
Quote from: Norcal Pescador on May 24, 2013, 01:31:23 AM
A gear ratio can be determined by dividing the number of teeth in the main gear by the number of teeth in the pinion gear. The answer (quotient) is the ratio. This works for ALL gear sets.
I'm trying to wrap my head around this one.  For straight cut gears, I can see this, but for heliocut gears where you may have 3 or 4 gear teeth in contact...  Maybe I'm over thinking this thing.

The gear ratio between 2 gears is determined by their respective diameters, and since the teeth have to be identical for the gears to mesh, their diameter is a function of the number of teeth. That's why you can just divide the number of teeth to get the ratio.

jonathan.han

Generally, any reel is only going to be as effective in catching fish as the person using it. "It's not the arrows, it's the indian." Of course, all the arrows we are referring to are serviced regularly.

Quote from: nelz on July 10, 2013, 08:38:56 PM
Don't repair under the influence. The reel you kill could be your own. Don't drink and screw drive!

I respectfully disagree. A beer or two is fine. After three or eight, who wants to work on reels?
raw instinct

Ron Jones

Quote from: Three se7ens on July 15, 2013, 03:07:09 AM

The gear ratio between 2 gears is determined by their respective diameters, and since the teeth have to be identical for the gears to mesh, their diameter is a function of the number of teeth. That's why you can just divide the number of teeth to get the ratio.

I hear this from time to time on this sight and it just doesn't make sense. If I have 10 teeth on 1 5 inch gear and 5 teeth on 1 2.5 inch gear I have a 2:1 ratio, end of story. Admittedly the teeth would be HUGE to make that work but you get my drift.

If I have 10 teeth on 1 2.5 inch gear and 5 teeth on one 1 inch gear the ratio is, you guessed it, 2:1! Although from a design standpoint gear size for a given ratio is needed for proper function, diameter has no impact on ratio.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

nelz

Quote from: jonathan.han on July 15, 2013, 04:58:57 AM
I respectfully disagree. A beer or two is fine. After three or eight, who wants to work on reels?

Ok, I must admit, I'm guilty of this myself. I need a drink just to muster up the courage to take apart that ol' Slammer LiveLiner! Actually, I find it makes my fingers a bit steadier for those tiny parts. But just one drink, or else!

TomT

In "DOG BEERS", I've only had one!! ;D
TomT

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

jonathan.han

Quote from: noyb72 on July 15, 2013, 05:11:54 AM
Quote from: Three se7ens on July 15, 2013, 03:07:09 AM

I hear this from time to time on this sight and it just doesn't make sense. If I have 10 teeth on 1 5 inch gear and 5 teeth on 1 2.5 inch gear I have a 2:1 ratio, end of story. Admittedly the teeth would be HUGE to make that work but you get my drift.

If I have 10 teeth on 1 2.5 inch gear and 5 teeth on one 1 inch gear the ratio is, you guessed it, 2:1! Although from a design standpoint gear size for a given ratio is needed for proper function, diameter has no impact on ratio.

Ron

Diameter does not have a direct effect on final gear ratio. It is the circumferences of each gear that is affected by diameter than changes gear ratio. But, you can't increase since most reels can't take a larger diameter gear. Increasing the diameter of a gear while maintaining the same pinion gear will give a higher gear ration. Decreasing dia. while keeping pinon size the same will decrease gear ratio.

For the gears to mesh correctly, the cut of each tooth is like thread pitch on a bolt, hole, or nut and they must be the same or they cannot mesh with one another. Therefore, the spacing between each tooth, just like thread pitch will be the same. In threads, you have "threads per inch". You count the threads since that is in reference to the length as if you were measuring in millimeters or inches. So, in a 1/4-20 bolt, we have 20 threads per inch. It's the same concept but the thread lays on the circumference of the gears. COUNT THE TEETH! It's a sure fire method; it's never wrong. NEVER (unless you use the wrong pinion gear-then it's FUBARed)
raw instinct

chamorro1

Quote from: nelz on July 10, 2013, 08:38:56 PM
Don't repair under the influence. The reel you kill could be your own. Don't drink and screw drive!

been there, done that.  never again

broadway

If you can't get a trim/ beauty ring back on an old reel... Put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes (use oven gloves to remove) and put the side plate in the freezer for an hour. Then reassemble.
Dom

Makule

While it is true that the man operating the machine has a lot to do with the results, it's equally true that machines (including reels) have an optimum operating range.  Using a 6/0 to catch river trout is somewhat unreasonable, as is using a bait casting reel to catch a 1000 pound marlin.

On another note, a guy I know is a retired auto mechanic.  He enjoys repairing stuff, including non-automotive.  I've advised him a few times, that just because something can be repaired doesn't mean it should be.  For example, his impact gun stopped working and he opted to buy the repair parts rather than just toss it in the trash (he has many impact guns, including better ones).  After the cost of the part and shipping, he spent more than if he had just bought another gun (same brand same model).  To make matter worse, it still didn't work because something else was wrong.  He then decided to toss the gun.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  If cost is not an issue, then buy the appropriate item for the job, get regular maintenance, and buy the best available to begin with.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.