New Stetup seems to have worked

Started by mrbrklyn, May 29, 2013, 09:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

Yesterday I took the new gear out on the boat.  I used a new shimano charter TR200 with an Ugly Stick Tiger and went out for 7 hours on the Marlyn Jean out of Sheepsead Bay in Brooklyn: http://www.mj2fishing.com/ .  We only had 5 people on board so the captian much have been still feeling giddy from the Memorial day weekend to go out with so few people.  At the end of the day, it started to pour.  It left at about 7AM and we got back at 2:30.  It must have rained from 12:30 to 2:30 and we were parked near the Atlantic Highlands.

As soon as I put the new gear into the water, I knew right away that this was going to be a very different fishing experience.  The reel was lined with 40lb braid, and a 20 foot 30pound mono shock.  The new rod and reel transmited the ocean floor, more than 100 ft deep in my limited understanding, like a telepraph.  even with the 10 ounce weight.   I could feel every nibble on the line, every rock and rub.  The result was that I pulled up 37 ling, over 20 of them from before 11:30AM when I just got tired and rested for a half hour.  Then I pulled up the rest for another hour or so.  I was amazed at the difference.  Then I picked up 6 Sea Bass, one was so cool in how it bent the line, it would have made a classic photograph.  And then the 3 or 4 sharks which totally sucked. Oh and I picked up 2 black fish, which in no way could I have pulled them up with the old rig.  They would have dived under the reef and entangled me in the reck long before I'd be able to get them up out of the water.  I could feel them go for it and I was able to resist. 

Anyway - I want to thank everyone who helped me select out the near equiptment.  I seemed to have functioned beyond what I could have imagined.

Ruben

BMITCH

Ruben, it all becomes clear with the right gear for the job. Your a sharpie in the making. Tight lines....
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Bryan Young

Ruben, so glad it all worked out even with your initial frustrations. Next time, pictures please.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

Ruben

Happy you liked the M J IV. I don't work during the week. I'll catch up with you soon.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Fam freaking tastic!! Way to stick with it and get 'r done.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Norcal Pescador

Glad to hear it all came together for you, Ruben. The best part is your own handiwork doing what it's supposed to.  8)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD