Dad's CAP

Started by reelynew, March 10, 2024, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynew

I was visiting my folks recently and my Dad gave me his Mitchell CAP that was given to him a few years back by a friend who passed.  It's certainly seen better days and am looking forward to giving it a good cleaning.  The bail snaps back on retrieve and the anti-reverse is working. 

It does appear that someone was inside this reel and it wasn't my Dad.  Doesn't appear to have any grease.  Perhaps a light oil, but it certainly looks better inside than out. 

I had been reading on another website that the Mitchell Cap was the precursor to the 304.  Is that correct as I am seeing what may appear to be planamatic gears?

I remember, a little over a year ago, telling my Wife I didn't see myself collecting these reels after I got my first 308.  This is now my 4th Mitchell.  Do gifts count?   :-X

Thanks,

Matt

I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

Midway Tommy

Yes, the Mitchell Cap was pre 304. The early 304s had planamatic gearing. Prior to Garcia being etched   into the body they added a yellow Garcia Product sticker. It was installed on the body above the handle. A lot of them eventually wore or fell off.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Waaaasssup!, Matt. Yeah looks like the Planamatic gears. Looks like a "fisher", just me but I don't worry about the external stuff, unless I haveta dig out corrosion. I've looked at CAP reels recently, I like the no-wasted-space design of the gear-box. You maybe can get some interesting facts from the Mitchell Reel Museum site as I think it's still up.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sandbar

Here's some information.
-Steve

jgp12000

One of my dock queens is a 304 on a 10 Ft EC rod, my favorite
Crappie rig.These round body Mitchells are simple and smooth :fish

reelynew

Thank you everyone for your replies.  Lots of great information. 

Matt
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

jgp12000

So what version/year did the 304 go to regular Gearing and you had to get a 314 for the planamatic gears?

jtwill98

A bit of history on the Cap and Mitchell 304 found here:  http://www.mitchellcap.info/

Midway Tommy

Quote from: jtwill98 on March 24, 2024, 02:37:45 PMA bit of history on the Cap and Mitchell 304 found here:  http://www.mitchellcap.info/

That information was put together by Jim Seiler years ago. I have a color PDF of the original 122 page research document Jim did. It was given to me to review for accuracy & mistakes back in 2016 prior to it's publication in book form. There's a lot of good information in that 122 page document.  ;)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

jtwill98

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 24, 2024, 10:57:46 PMThere's a lot of good information in that 122 page document.

I would love to see it if Jim would grant permission for you to share the document.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: jtwill98 on March 25, 2024, 02:02:01 AM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 24, 2024, 10:57:46 PMThere's a lot of good information in that 122 page document.

I would love to see it if Jim would grant permission for you to share the document.

Jim passed away in 2002, as I was informed. It came to me to review as a result of his daughter's approval. It's more or less what you are seeing via that link except that I can scroll right down the 122 pages, read the type with the photos and not have to be annoyed by having to click on a photo link. There's about 65 pages of Cap, Mitchell & Garcia catalog pages at the end.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE