Homemade Tools & Line Winders

Started by harryk3616, June 02, 2013, 12:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Harry, I'm not going against the guys here, I just want to mention what I use:
Simple Green, stiff nylon brush, stiff ss brush and a soft brass brush. I also have some fine and medium stainless steel wool .
I clean the grease off the plates with the a nylon brush and Simple Green, I'll then soak them for a day in another container filled with fresh Simple Grease.
Chromed parts get the same treatment, but I use a ss brush or brass brush, depending how bad they are. At times I will also use ss wool.
I do not mix brass parts with  chromed part, I clean then with a soft brass brush and soak them for a day in white distilled vinegar.
When I remove the parts from soaking them, I use another container and and pour the liquid through a strainer, so I can get the parts.
This has been working out for me, no ultra sonic. Just my 2 cents.
BTW, my reels look pretty ;)
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

I agree with Sal. The ultrasonic cleaner is NOT a must have. I have one for my work in repairing surveying instruments. So mine is a must have piece of equipment. If you do opt for getting one though I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

harryk3616

hi  sal  and   bob        sal i use a stiff nylon brush with wd40, maybe i should try the simple green.  i like your idea on cleaning the chrome parts, i appreciate all the input i receive and yes your reels a reel purdy,  thank you,  and  bob    i purchased a tea infuser from ebay for  $3.30 ,  free shipping, boy beats having to load up my scooter and go to the store, thank you  bob  and  sal.  gonna forget that ultra sonic cleaner.       harryk

Alto Mare

Harry, like you I use whatever I can find. Here are a couple of tools that I use to drain the parts;
A plastic container and a cheese basket:

You already know how to get creative ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

harryk3616

sal    how can ya go wrong with polly-o  and yummy ricotta,  gotta be innovative like you say, thanks buddy

Dominick

Quote from: harryk3616 on June 22, 2013, 01:01:54 AM
sal    how can ya go wrong with polly-o  and yummy ricotta,  gotta be innovative like you say, thanks buddy
You are right Harry, good Ricotta and then Italian Tupperware.  Life is good.  ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

harryk3616

yes    dom       my mom was italian  and my wife is italian, and i know how to munga

Joel.B

sonic-cleaner certainly not a must have- just makes life much much easier, and it saves mucho time. I have lots of nerve damage, numbness, its hard for me to handle all the little screws and parts, cleaning them each individually with a brush would take all day.

It will knock the rust and grime out from inside of teeth, threads, little holes....in minutes, all while I am working on something else.

I also use an electrolysis tank for steel parts, made it myself with battery charger.  you should see what the gnarliest rusted steel gears look like when they come out . 

harryk3616

good morning   joel          thanks for the info

BMITCH

Joel, I'm very interested in the electrolysis tank you made?? Any chane of some pics and instructions.

Bob

Joel.B

Quote from: BMITCH on June 22, 2013, 04:49:02 PM
Joel, I'm very interested in the electrolysis tank you made?? Any chane of some pics and instructions.

Bob

here is a quick google result that covers the bases pretty well

http://www.myfordtractors.com/electrolysis.shtml

Norcal Pescador

Harry, you are truly crafty in a good way. ;)  I like your innovative tools and hardware.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

Quote from: Joel.B on June 22, 2013, 05:05:29 PM
Quote from: BMITCH on June 22, 2013, 04:49:02 PM

Bob

here is a quick google result that covers the bases pretty well

http://www.myfordtractors.com/electrolysis.shtml
Thanks Joel, way cool 8)
Bob

spize909

I found myself without help to get some new line on my reels before the last trip so I decided to look around the garage to see what I could come up with. I had some steel plates that are used for block walls (Proto Walls) and they looked to fit the bill. Those and a 3/8" (might have been 5/16") bolt completed what I would need to get the basic part done.
I couldn't find the right spring right away so I used a short section of rubber fuel hose for tension.

I have been gathering stuff to be able to do my own powder coating and finally got it all together. I thought the line winder would be a great thing to experiment on. I also coated a star drag for my 505.

I used the lower part of the oven as the spray booth.

spize909

Put the star on the reel.
I may PC the rings, the handle and the gear lever (blank on what it's called). My rods are all wrapped black and orange............I can't see putting orange on a reel but it should would stand out when I need to find it ;D