Homemade Tools & Line Winders

Started by harryk3616, June 02, 2013, 12:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryk3616

good evening spiez          everything looks reely great, very nice job,  your almost there a stronger motor and your in business, very neat i like it.  harryk

Mandelstam

Anyone ever made a good line winder for spinning reels? I'm tired of putting pressure on the line with my fingers and I don't want the line twisted... I was thinking of clamping the line before it goes on to the spool but I'm afraid of getting to much friction and heat...
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Newell Nut

Try a garbage disposal motor. They have lots of power.

Alto Mare

I like the way you think spize, very creative ;).
Some might say, you have over $20 of bolts and brackets alone, that's not what this is about.
Get yourself a stronger motor and you're set.
Keep your ideas coming.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

spize909

Quote from: Newell Nut on August 17, 2013, 09:29:13 AM
Try a garbage disposal motor. They have lots of power.
hmmmm........I am remodeling the kitchen as we speak and the garbage disposal will be replaced with the new sink and will be coming out this week, meaning I have something to tear apart and tinker with. Thanks for the idea!
I wonder how speed control will be. I am likely going to end up with a drill but I am trying to keep costs down and creativity up.

spize909

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 17, 2013, 01:07:39 PM
I like the way you think spize, very creative ;).
Some might say, you have over $20 of bolts and brackets alone, that's not what this is about.
Get yourself a stronger motor and you're set.
Keep your ideas coming.
Sal

Yeah maybe......about $20. Maybe more, the dimmer was like 8 bucks and the 3/4 steel was 4 or 5 bucks and I still need some 1" steel to finish the reel clamp but that should be coming free from my steel guy at work.
Like you said, that's not what it's about.

RowdyW

Try Harbor Freight for a battery powered drill. They usually have one on sale every month, usually under 20 bucks.    Rudy

harryk3616

harbor freight drills are decent and cheap, got two of them, the battery life after awhile stinks, they don;t last long, having two of them i always have one to charge while i'm using the other. the  craftsman drills i have are much better. spooling lie on the reels, power drills have the strength and do a much better job.  i use a variable speed one, but like spiez used a dimmer switch might work as well.

spize909

I will use a corded drill......I'm not running the risk of being under-powered again. The garbage disposal motor is still gonna get a look too.
I got an old 1/2 drill that I'm going to try. I'm going to keep the other motor with the tapered table leg attachment and just mount it to the work bench for stripping only. It works too good to trash.

harryk3616

i agree, good move and good luck, i'm sure you got it now, your a handy fellow.  my best to you     harry

Cone

A sewing machine motor and foot pedal would be ideal if it has enough torque. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

spize909

Quote from: Cone on August 17, 2013, 11:23:02 PM
A sewing machine motor and foot pedal would be ideal if it has enough torque. Bob
I'm worried it wouldn't have enough torque. Probably perfect for wrappin' rods or drying but I dont know about line winding.

harryk3616

been there ,done that, foot pedal is great and the sewing machine motor is good for wrapping rods, but it's not strong enough to wind line on a reel tight.  i used a barbeque motor to spin the rods after applying rod finish on them.

spize909

Well, this is what we ended up with. I got my old 1/2 drill out and clamped her onto a piece of 3/4x3/4 with a big u-bolt. I scored the case a little and put some JB type stuff on it to just feel a little more secore about it sliding out.
I did a couple reels, it worked well but started melting the plastic on the 1/4 lb spool. I fixed that with some different washers.

and the other motor clamps in the bench vise to still strip line.

Couple more.......

I kind of like the little stripper attachment more than the winder. It would work in a cordless too.

harryk3616

well,  you da man,  excellent job, good going, very nice.