Torsa 20 freespool/drag issue

Started by Seabass, February 16, 2010, 03:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabass

Hi Alan
Long time reader, first time poster from Australia. It's all been said before but this is a great reference site and something to be extremely proud of. Until now I've always been able to find the answers without posting but this one has stumped me.
My Torsa 20 is giving me some grief. I am having trouble with maintaining freespool while still leaving adequate drag at strike/full. The problem seems to be associated with where the quick change cam is set. If I back it off I get excellent freespool but the drag at strike and full is almist non-existant. If I tighten it up I have excellent drag but no, and I mean no freespool. There is not a happy medium like there should be with adequate freespool and suitable drag. I'm stumped! I have dismantled the reel and all parts are present and in apparently good condition.
Have you seen a problem like this before and was there a solution? I think I'm pretty competant with reels so would like to fix it myself before sending it off to Shimano.
Thanks a lot
Tim

alantani

tim, i've actually never opened up a torsa before.  they're very expensive reels and shimano usa has an excellent service program for these topshelf reels.  i've pulled up the schematics and had a look.

http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Conventional/05TS20_v1_m56577569830641812.pdf

yuuccckkkkkkk!!!!!!  way to many parts!  one thing i did not see was a bearing sleeve like the one seen here....

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=138.0

the first thing i would do is to clean out the spool bearings and relube them.  that may do the trick.  if that does not work well enough, consider having a bearing sleeve cut by someone.  it is not difficult and might make a huge difference.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Seabass

thanks heaps Alan, much appreciated. I think I'll send it off to Shimano and see what they suggest and look into a bearing sleeve if they can't come up with anything.
On a side note I was playing with the quick change cam yesterday and did find a "sweet spot" where the reel had excellent freespool and good drag at strike and full. Funnily though, if I adjusted the cam, even by a 1mm turn (in both directions) Ilost all drag. My concern is if it is that thin a line between good drag and freespool, it's going to happen on a fish and muck up my day.
Tim