okuma makaira 50 II rebuild - 2/16/2010

Started by alantani, February 17, 2010, 08:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanara

alantani

sorry about not getting back to you right away. glad it worked out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

shanara

I guess you were a little busy winding in yellowtail. Congratulations on your successful trip

jimbo450

HI Alan, I just serviced my MAK 8ll and to my surprise the spool bearings on this model have the bearing covers removed so they are OPEN bearings. Yes, the factory man did a good job applying grease to all inside cover surfaces. The drag washer looked pretty dry so I gave it a bath in Cal's Grease and wiped off. I didn't attempt to dig out the right side plate bearing as I have not set up my grease gun and grease(blue) in the bearing packer I bought from you(another project to do yet). This reel was easy to service and guys say "oh you only used it a couple days it should be fine". Well, I found 2 nice sized sardine scales inside the left sideplate cover and now I better get more tape on my right thumb as this reel has great freespool now. I wish I had the time to service this before departing on a 6 day RRlll trip. I have a Penn Torque 25NLD2 torn apart right now also. Different design on the right side plate with double dogs(no spring assemblies like the MAK's). Same type of design on the drag washer plate idea using a couple small screws to secure to the right side of the spool. The reel foot is not screwed into the base like the MAK, it is there permanently. Both reels performed great succumbing yellowtail and schoolie YFT effortlessly. The low gear on the MAK helped in getting a 50# Black Seabass off the ocean floor. Great reels from Penn!

Smols

Alan,

It looks like you recommend removing the reel foot gasket on the Makaira. Why do you prefer to remove this gasket?

Thanks,
Smols

Smols

To guess at my own question, I assume the gasket makes it more likely that saltwater will get trapped. So it is better to use grease and no gasket?...
Smols

alantani

i've always preferred grease and no gasket, but i don't think it's that big a deal.....   ;D

Smols

Ok, Alan - that's good enough for me. Thanks!

GonefishinLI

Hey Alan,  my mak 50 has been very stiff reeling - smooth but just stiff.  Freespool is perfect so i took off the right side and when i got to the holder plate once i loosened it a bit it was perfectly easy again.  I went back through your original post and i *think* there's a washer in mine that i didn't see in the original schematics - part 0920507 - that sits between the holder plate bushing and the low speed gear (believe i see it in newer schematics as well).  So it seems i can either a) remove that washer or b) loosen up the holder screws.  What do you think?  Thanks!

Maybe We Can Fix It

There should be a washer between the brass bushing and low gear, but if tolerance is off or spacer washer(s) on the gear shaft assembly were installed in the wrong place you can remove the washer between the gear and bushing to clear tolerance.

Another issue this could occur from is the brass shaft bushing within the sideplate backing out of the sideplate itself, putting pressure on the gear assembly when the hold plate is fastened.

To check this remove the hold plate and gears, see if there is a gap between the side plate and brass bushing. The bushing will need to be removed, fastening adhesive applied and screwed back into position. Older models were held in by adhesive and have no threads, but assume the bushing is threaded to begin.

Quote from: GonefishinLI on August 13, 2020, 01:20:28 PM
Hey Alan,  my mak 50 has been very stiff reeling - smooth but just stiff.  Freespool is perfect so i took off the right side and when i got to the holder plate once i loosened it a bit it was perfectly easy again.  I went back through your original post and i *think* there's a washer in mine that i didn't see in the original schematics - part 0920507 - that sits between the holder plate bushing and the low speed gear (believe i see it in newer schematics as well).  So it seems i can either a) remove that washer or b) loosen up the holder screws.  What do you think?  Thanks!
"Maybe We Can Fix It" Reel Repair
Scott Rodriguez
Owner/Operator
Factory Trained Technician

maybewecanfixit@gmail.com

Instagram: @maybewecanfixit_reelrepair

Website Coming Soon!!

alantani

honestly, i'd have to fiddle with it a little.  usually when the reel is a little hard to crank in gear but not in free, it's the pinion bearing.  if it's a little stiff in free, it's the silent springs that are a little tight.  the silent springs are key #723-1 and 723-2.  please check the pinion gear first!

http://schematics.mikesreelrepair.com/albums/okuma/Okuma_Makaira_MK-50WII.pdf

mak1

alantani

700 yards of JB hollow and an 25 yard topshot of 130 fluorocarbon.

MexicanGulf

hi is there a kit to transform a Mk50II with the technical update of the SEA? I would like to buy the mk50 and upgrade it to the SEA version because in Europe the Mk50II sea is not imported.

alantani

i do not believe so.  you would have to manually go through the schematics and find all the different parts numbers, one at a time, and order them. 

there are differences.  there is certainly a lower gear ratio for the low gear.  there might even be a heavier drive shaft.  i have the older gold plain version of the makaira 50 and it works just fine.  honestly, i think that it would not be worth the trouble.