alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial how much money should you spend?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 22, 2019, 11:34:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how much money should you spend?  (Read 30750 times)
dogtagger

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »

This is a great discussion, and one I've thought about quite a bit. I have a lot of Penn reels from 180s on up to a 116, most get fished a fair amount each year. My Jigmasters are relatively 'stock' with just greased HT-100 drags and stainless sleeves.

I have 2 115s that have frames, stainless gears, sleeves, dogs, handle arms and custom handles. These are my 'heavy' shark reels and I think the upgrades are worth the expense. On the other hand my medium shark rigs have stock 114s (black) which apparently don't have any aftermarket parts available. These reels have caught lots of sharks up to 300+ lb porbeagles, and have held up for over 20 years. So go figure. I know when people see my 115s only the most observant notice anything other than just an old obsolete Penn star drag.

I get the part about building a one of a kind reel, but after it's all said and done, I guess I'm more a door number 1 kind of guy Huh?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: