Marlin special, what line?

Started by Ron Jones, June 19, 2013, 06:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I have recently become enamored with the Newell Marlin Special. I have one (Thanks Joel!) and will soon have a couple more. I was surprised to find that these are between a 113H and a 113HLW. THe way I see it, I can expect about 300 yards of 60 pound mono. I think the name of these were a little ambitious, I see them as Dorado / Wahoo trolling and casting reels more than big game reels. Although I guess with the drags being made up today you could fish them with 100 pound braid.

So, with Black Pearl stainless gears, double stainless dogs and a 5+1 drag (for now), how would you spool this reel?

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

60lb Spectra with a 10' and/or 100' 40lb-50lb topshot, the longer one for trolling.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I apreciate that Lee. It just seems that 8-900 yards is an awful lot of line!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Fill the spool 1/3-1/2 way with 50lb Dacron.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Sorry Lee, for some reason this didn't come up new.

I never thought of Dacron as a filler for braid. So this brings up a question, and I'm trying not to be a PITA, but I have always looked at braid as a solution for  line capacity on small reels. The biggest fish I've ever caught on braid was a 60 pound halibut on a SH20-SHV Diawa with 60# Power Pro. If you are filling the spool with 1/3 spool of dacron, would you not get the same capacity with straight 60 pound mono?

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Mono has too much stretch and has to be changed often.  I use Spectra for everything from kokanee to cow YFT.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

OK,
I guess I do strip mono a lot (actually, my girls strip mono a lot  ;D) Will dacron backing ever need to be replaced?

Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Eventually but not as often as mono.

Mark Twain

Bunnlevel Sharker

I wpoukld run straight up 100lb brad to a mono topper
Grayson Lanier