Newell 200/300/400Series,Penn112H&Jigmasters,&ProGear 255/251 5+1Drag - $29

Started by Bryan Young, June 20, 2013, 08:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 24, 2013, 07:50:22 PM
Hi Ralph,

Stock HT-100 drags are comfortable at max 12# of drag.  The brass gears normally start to shread at 15# of drag.  The brass gear sleeve also start to round at 12# of drag.  So, this set-up does involve several things that needs to be considered.

1)  You should upgrade your gear sleeve to SS or Ti (still under development).
2)  You should use Penn's old stock of steel gears or aftermarket SS gears, such as BlackPearl, SmoothDrag, Newell, or Accurate.
3)  5 stack drag set.

When you add it all together, it does add up and is not for the budget minded, but for those who still love to fish these older reels and bring them in par with newer fishing reels.

I have not taked up the drags to 25# as I am still afraid that this is too much for these tiny reels, but am comfortable at 20# of drag making this a viable to fish with 50#-60# test line with smooth drags at the upper drag settings.

Personlly, I like the 5 stack because the drags seem much smoother than a 3 stack at the higher limits.

I hope this helps.

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Does the main gear need to be modified for the original Penn JM 500 main gear part to fit in your 5+1 drag stack?

Thanks,
--Alan

Bryan Young

Hi Alan,

If the depth of the main gear is the same as the stock penn or Newell for the Penn 500/501, then the depth would be fine.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thinket

how do in get on list for 4 drag sets?

also need 4 sleeves.

thanks

Hi Ralph,

Stock HT-100 drags are comfortable at max 12# of drag.  The brass gears normally start to shread at 15# of drag.  The brass gear sleeve also start to round at 12# of drag.  So, this set-up does involve several things that needs to be considered.

2)  You should use Penn's old stock of steel gears or aftermarket SS gears, such as BlackPearl, SmoothDrag, Newell, or Accurate.
3)  5 stack drag set.

When you add it all together, it does add up and is not for the budget minded, but for those who still love to fish these older reels and bring them in par with newer fishing reels.

I have not taked up the drags to 25# as I am still afraid that this is too much for these tiny reels, but am comfortable at 20# of drag making this a viable to fish with 50#-60# test line with smooth drags at the upper drag settings.

Personlly, I like the 5 stack because the drags seem much smoother than a 3 stack at the higher limits.

I hope this helps.

Bryan

Black Pearl

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 27, 2013, 04:28:15 PM
Hi Alan,

If the depth of the main gear is the same as the stock penn or Newell for the Penn 500/501, then the depth would be fine.

Bryan

Hi B,

We will have another model main gear will mill 1mm deeper. Therefore, it could be 7+1 stack.....

Bryan Young

On the gear sleeves, do you need fine or course thread?  I can also send that to you. 

Bryan
Quote from: thinket on June 27, 2013, 05:47:47 PM
how do in get on list for 4 drag sets?

also need 4 sleeves.

thanks

Hi Ralph,

3)  5 stack drag set.

I hope this helps.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

I am not making a 7 stack set :(, but you can buy 2 sets and have spare washers  :D

Quote from: Black Pearl on June 27, 2013, 06:11:39 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on June 27, 2013, 04:28:15 PM
Hi Alan,

Bryan

Hi B,

We will have another model main gear will mill 1mm deeper. Therefore, it could be 7+1 stack.....

Ron Jones

Or you could buy 7 seta for 5 reels ;D

If we are getting 20+ pounds with 5, do we really need 30 pounds of drag on a 3/0?

What am I thinking; drag disks are like Long Island Ice Teas, a million is never enough!

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

Quote from: noyb72 on June 27, 2013, 06:52:39 PM
Or you could buy 7 seta for 5 reels ;D

If we are getting 20+ pounds with 5, do we really need 30 pounds of drag on a 3/0?

What am I thinking; drag disks are like Long Island Ice Teas, a million is never enough!

Ron

;D ;D ;D
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Careful  how far you want to go with that reel, not that I wouldn't mind see one blow up ;D.
It's not just about gears and frames when beefing upa reel, you need to consider other parts. On my lates test, the pinion tooth snapped right off, pinions are  stainless. Also, the spool shaft isn't that beefy.
The Jigmaster is rated at 8lb, going over 20lb would be asking for troubles.  I would keep that reel at 15lb to 17lb, that's still a big imrpovement.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 27, 2013, 11:24:25 PM
Careful  how far you want to go with that reel, not that I wouldn't mind see one blow up ;D.
It's not just about gears and frames when beefing upa reel, you need to consider other parts. On my lates test, the pinion tooth snapped right off, pinions are  stainless. Also, the spool shaft isn't that beefy.
The Jigmaster is rated at 8lb, going over 20lb would be asking for troubles.  I would keep that reel at 15lb to 17lb, that's still a big imrpovement.
Sal, we got to get you out to Hawaii for some Island Style Shore Casting. 100-400# leaders, 60-80# main line.  Drags cranked down until it can't go more and we still loose a fish due to the rocks.

My first casting reel is my Long Beach Live Bait 259 Reel with 50# test or my 113HLW with 80# test.   ;D

Alto Mare

Yes Bryan, definitely something I would love to see, 400lb leader on a 8lb reel ::). Hey but if its working out for you guys, why not.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

erikpowell

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 28, 2013, 12:36:36 AM
Yes Bryan, definitely something I would love to see, 400lb leader on a 8lb reel ::). Hey but if its working out for you guys, why not.

now thats some perspective Sal   ;D

when we fish for mangrove jacks here, my aussie friends will take their teeny weeny abu's, spool em with 50lb braid, 150lb floro leader, and to my horror, crank the star down with pliers! .... and I can't believe i've never seen anybody's rig blow apart  :o

Bryan Young

Thanks guys and gals.  First run, sold out :).  Will post when I get the next shipment.

Mahalo,
Bryan

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Great Bryan, what happened to my set? ::). You already know that I'm in anything you come up with. I bet those make that reel very smooth at 18lb.
Sal