Anyone tried teflon spray for drag washers

Started by thedw, June 21, 2013, 10:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

I have used Teflon grease on drag washers and noticed no negative effect.
Cornelis

mikeysm

I use finish line grease and it works great. It's a teflon grease made for bikes.

cbar45

Yes.

Magnalube-G.

Not a spray, but a grease.

Excellent results on CF drag washers.

Chad

Rockfish1

Haven't been on here for a while, so just seeing this.  Since I know a lot about Teflon I'll 'splain the results as I see them:  The only thing teflon really sticks to is itself - so the dry stuff is basically migrating out of the drag discs as they're getting worked under load by a hard charging fish.  What happens with teflon greases is that the PTFE particles are sort of trapped in the grease base and hang around better where you put them.

RowdyW

I've been using Dupont Teflon Marine Grease on my drag washers. I have found no difference between it and Cal's. It's even almost the same color, not that it matters. When compared to Cal's it remains on the washers just as well, no difference in drag pressure, & just as smooth under pressure. And I got it for $7 a 16 oz. can, about 2 years ago. It sure is economical.     Rudy

patrickrio

I am trying to figure out the best grease for a super light baitcaster.  I am using 2lb min to 6lb max test line. The tan Carl's seems to be pretty thick and waxy for the 2lb test line as it seems to have a cold start static friction a bit higher than ideal.

What would you guys suggest to get low start/static friction that is closer to dynamic friction, without having increased friction as the drag warms up and is used over the course of a day? Cal's purple?

Keta

I did not notice any difference between Cal's brown and purple but I was using higher drag numbers and was testing for cold weather fishing. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

On occasion, when a consistent drag range through all levels is needed on lighter line -- I have done this:

Soak the CF's in synthetic oil for an hour, or so -- I use WRL191S -- but likely any decent synthetic oil for reels would work -- providing it does not contain any solvents.

Remove and tamp dry the CF's with a paper towel

Apply Cal's Purple -- working it into the weave with your fingers

Wipe off any excess grease slop -- and install

I have found this to be smooth through all drag ranges from the lightest to full lockdown -- with no stickiness or surprise friction.

Generally, I do not do this though -- because for the majority of clients, they are not using that light of line -- and it is unnecessary.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

patrick, welcome!  for your reels, i would use only carbon fiber drag washers.  then for the light drag applications that you describe, i would apply a generous coat of cal's drag grease, then take an old rag and gently rub off the excess.  when you are done, you should be able to look and a drag drag washer and your greased drag washer and barely tell the difference.  i think you'll be fine with this.  if you get a chance, please let us know how it all worked out for you.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

A combination for ultra light drags, that I've used on fly reels, is teflon washers. No grease applied just teflon washers - that doesn't mean some grease or oil won't penetrate  ;). Some of the multi stack drag scierra fly reels use a combination of cf and teflon washers - they seem smooth enough. In general more washers produce a smoother drag. For ultra light line minimising start-up inertia is paramount (so is very careful knot tying - there aint much safety margin with 2 or 3 lb test).

oc1

For such light line, I would not trust any drag.  Back the drag off and use finger pressure.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cor on June 03, 2016, 07:14:37 PM
I have used Teflon grease on drag washers and noticed no negative effect.
I have also tried them a while back, there was a guy on eBay selling kits.
Teflon will compress under pressure... not great.
You will be better off with carbon fiber washers, the best upgrade to date, no need to mess with it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 22, 2020, 06:59:37 PM
You will be better off with carbon fiber washers, the best upgrade to date, no need to mess with it.

That's it...in a nut shell. In my experience, any reel's drag, whether it's leather, felt, teflon, or hard fiber washers, performance always improves with Cal's greased carbon fiber. Sometimes it may work good "as is"...but the greased carbon fiber always makes it better. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

patrickrio

OK, I have the carbon washers already, and it looks like it came with teflon washers.  I am planning on lapping and flattening the drag surfaces too, to eliminate those potential variables. I have already tried it with the teflon washers and strait Cal's tan grease without the lapping, and it is noticeably lighter drag when warm than cold.

I guess I will order some cal's purple and some synthetic oil and experiment with different combinations.  If anyone else has experience with super light drag, let me know.

As it stands, I will likely miss trout opening day anyway.  My diesel engine is in pieces at a shop that is now under forced closure order indefinitely.... so no transport available. Bad timing for a blown injector seal.

Oh well, I have TP so I shouldn't complain, right?

Donnyboat

I think Chris ( Tiddlerbasher ) & Steve offer some good advice there, when you using very light line, a knot can be the difference between loosing fish, be careful & good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat