Anyone tried teflon spray for drag washers

Started by thedw, June 21, 2013, 10:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

If I was to look for a substitute for Cals or Shimano drag grease, what should I be looking for on the label. The application is for fresh water so smoking drag runs aren't an issue. It would have to not break down from high summer temps and not hold water.
I'm hoping someone has experience with a product I can easily obtain from a marina or Home Depot and the like.
Appreciate your time.

LL
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

RowdyW

I've used Dupont Teflon Marine grease for drags and it seems to work as good as Cal's (almost the same color tan). It should be available locally by any dealer of Dupont greases. I got it in a 1 lb container for under $10.        Rudy

alantani

i'd been mulling this over but never tried it.  this is the plain stuff.  all of these liquid carriers will evaporate quickly except heptane, which will evaporate about as fast as water.  the isopropanol (plain rubbing alcohol), propane and butane will evaporate quickly.  this stuff might actually work.  you'll just have to avoid the fumes. 

DuPont Teflon Non-Stick Dry-Film Lubricant Aerosol

SECTION 3: COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Hazardous Ingredient(s) % wt. CAS No.
Isopropanol 40 - 50 64-67-0
Heptane, branched, cylic and linear 20 - 30 426260-76-6
Propane 5 - 15 74-98-6
n-Butane 5 - 15 106-97-8
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jurelometer

The thing that makes Teflon (PTFE) a good lubricant additive is that is is so slippery.  The thing that makes Teflon a bad lubricant additive is that it is so slippery :)  Since it does not stick much to anything, it tends not to stay where you want it.

If you are going with a grease carrying the Teflon, you have a bit better chance.  They have more to work with in terms of chemistry magic, and something gooey to trap the Teflon powder in.

In terms of which grease for drags: the things to look for is oxidation/shelf life (reels sit around a lot),  dropping point (the temperature that the grease starts to liquefy), teflon/PTFE additive, water resistance, and compatibility with other grease components  (base and soaps) that may remain on the reel in residue from previous service.  The grease manufactures make compatibility tables.  They also list industry standard test results for the above capabilities if it is an industrial product.   The fishing products hide this information, but if you can find an SDS/MSDS, you can sometimes figure out what the original industrial product was.

I would guess that you are more likely to find a grease that makes you happy if you look to greases with a synthetic base.  There are some bases/soap combos that are widely compatible with  other greases.  I think that mixing an incompatible pair can lead to separation (the base bleeds out), but it has been awhile since I read up on this.

-J

MeanMachine

So what grease do you recommend jurelometer?

MarkT

I try not to over think these things so I just use Cal's.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Brewcrafter

While not a "be all-end all panacea" Cal's does offer two greases.  The usual tan that we are all familiar with, but also a blue/light purple "low temp" version.  Beyond the temp recommendations I to not know the differences. - john

jurelometer

Quote from: MeanMachine on June 24, 2020, 11:00:35 PM
So what grease do you recommend jurelometer?

Dunno.

Mark has a good point about using something that works for lots of folks.  Cal's has stood the test of time for most applications.   It is petroleum based, which is not the greatest.  It does get a bit gummy on my cork drag fly reels, so I am looking for other candidates.

I just picked up some Superlube 41160 to fix a sticky hinge in my oven at home.   Unlike the reel specific products that hide the specs so that we cannot find the industrial source, this one has most of the data we need.   

The specs look pretty good for reels, and the SDS shows very low safety risk (it is food safe):

https://www.super-lube.com/multi-purpose-synthetic-grease-with-syncolon-ptfe-41160

Dropping point is 550F,  it contains PTFE (teflon),

They even have a mini sportsman's kit with this grease. And the listed applications definitely line up with reel use.
But they don't identify the oil and soap, so there is a bit of a hole in verifying compatibility with other greases.

Haven't tried it yet myself.  I  am interested if anyone else has.  Once I get around to trying it, I will report back.

-J

MeanMachine

I'll try that one next it looks great! Thanks! Looks like Ace carries it. I will let you know how I like it.
Damian

Hardy Boy

I've been using the super lube for several years. I go through a lb a year and no issues it works great.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

happyhooker

Anyone tried Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant?  As I understand it, this lube is PTFE (generic of Teflon) ceramic reinforced with boron nitrate.  Touted as a dry lube with no oily residue and no staining.  This version of reinforced PTFE is called Cerflon.  I would suspect the ceramic helps the PTFE stay where it is wanted.

Frank

oc1

Quote from: happyhooker on July 24, 2020, 08:25:17 PM
Anyone tried Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant? 
I tried Three-N-One dry lock lube.  The felt fine for a while, but did not last long.  The same sensation as using a very light oil that will not get you through a day's fishing.
-steve

jurelometer

Quote from: Hardy Boy on July 24, 2020, 04:01:53 PM
I've been using the super lube for several years. I go through a lb a year and no issues it works great.

Cheers:

Todd

Worked great on my oven.  Next up: cork drags.

Lunker Larry

Can't seem to find anything else so am going to try Super Lube. Will follow up on how it works out.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Lunker Larry

Just to follow up. I've done a couple of my reels and found the Super Lube to be very slick and works great in lubricating the reel. No difference that I noted in the drag but I don't have the stresses you salt water fishermen see. So far so good. Like most of  you probably, I've been doing everyone else's reels and never get around to opening mine to see how it held up from summer fishing and sitting since October. Hope to get around to it shortly.

Larry