Anyone tried teflon spray for drag washers

Started by thedw, June 21, 2013, 10:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I might not use it on drags, but a reel tech i used to deal with at  a tackle shop used Superlube as his go -to everywhere else he needed grease. I have tried-and-true Corrosion X, Penn blue, marine bearing grease, and Cal's for my saltwater reels, but I use Superlube on freshwater reels without hesitation. Especially on older light freshwater reels where i really don't need to create some custom carbotex, I'll make oiled felt, cork, or leather washers. Never had one fail on the limited use I put on them, and virtually free to replace.

John

jurelometer

Thanks for the update folks!  I haven't a chance to get out and try it myself,  but once I am cleared to go fishing again, I'm gonna give the Superlube a try in one of my cork drag saltwater fly reels. This will (hopefully) be in a hot climate.

I don't see why it would not make a good drag grease candidate.  High dropping point, PTFE additive,  doesn't separate,  good  moisture resistance.  And a synthetic base (pretty sure that's Cal's is low tech petroleum base).   The remaining  question is how it compares in terms of oxidation (reel sitting around on the shelf), and emulsification when some water gets mixed in.

Todd (Hardy Boy) is doing reels for saltwater charter operations where the seas are often rough enough that spray is going to be common at times.  These reels holding up well with Superlube provides some pretty stong evidence, at least for colder climates.

-J

thorhammer

I'll put together a 113H for grouper and use Superlube. Will advise how it works in NC- the reel prolly will get a shower in the covering board rod holder.

johndtuttle

Quote from: jurelometer on March 16, 2021, 07:42:44 PM
Thanks for the update folks!  I haven't a chance to get out and try it myself,  but once I am cleared to go fishing again, I'm gonna give the Superlube a try in one of my cork drag saltwater fly reels. This will (hopefully) be in a hot climate.

I don't see why it would not make a good drag grease candidate.  High dropping point, PTFE additive,  doesn't separate,  good  moisture resistance.  And a synthetic base (pretty sure that's Cal's is low tech petroleum base).   The remaining  question is how it compares in terms of oxidation (reel sitting around on the shelf), and emulsification when some water gets mixed in.

Todd (Hardy Boy) is doing reels for saltwater charter operations where the seas are often rough enough that spray is going to be common at times.  These reels holding up well with Superlube provides some pretty stong evidence, at least for colder climates.

-J

Yea, the corrosion protection is always my question as we have such a good track record with Penn Blue or any Marine Grease...or even Cal's for that matter.

Super-lube or relatives are often found in hi-end spinners so I have little doubt they lube well...how they truly hold up to corrosive forces is unknown to me.