Are you Ready to Abandon Ship?

Started by Norcal Pescador, June 24, 2013, 05:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

The only reason for me to leave my boat is fire.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Having 10+ years at sea and preaching shipboard safety constantly basically being what you all pay me fore makes me a little crazy about this stuff. The number one issue we see when assistance is needed is safety gear either not used or used incorrectly because of ignorance. Don your life vest and jump over the side every now and then, discharge your fire extinguisher annually and have it recharged. If it is legal in your area, PUT OUT A FIRE WITH YOUR EXTINGUISHER!! When the thing saving you from hypothermia is burning to the waterline you will NOT be in the mindset of "how do I use this." The more familliar you are with your gear the more readily you will use it and that increases your chances exponentially.

Have a great time on the water but beyond all else BE SAFE OUT THERE. I want to hear how your trips went.

FTC (SS) Jones, Ronald L USN
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

David Hall

Every off season I try to upgrade a bit more.
This year I upgraded my life vests and added AIS to the boat and MOB devices and a couple new PLB,s all for the life vests.  Last year I added a small VHF to each life vest and a throw rope for my ring.  It all costs but when and if they're ever needed they will be invaluable.

Rancanfish

I got an expired link to the CG site.  Opened, looked for an hour, that was interesting, but never saw any thing regarding abandoning ship.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Tightlines667

I am a Marine Certifed Safety Instructor, and conduct marine safety trainings for our staff 3 to 4 times per year.  I also conduct onboard Safety Drills on commercial Longline vessels, and ocassionally a US-owned Purse seine vessel.

I echo Ron's comment....

Practice using your gear, learn to recognize an emergency, and take action.  

Know your equiptment, and how to use it.  

Preparation is key.  

You should have plans in place for man overboard, fire, flooding, and abandon ship.  Know how to use a fire extinguisher, shore up/control flooding situations, how to recover a man overboard, and what to do in the case of an abandon ship situation.  Know how to use signaling devices, how to make a may day and/or PanPan, and how to use your EPIRB.. etc.  Keeping a log of safety equipment, along with testing, and service dates is also a good idea.  

Personally, I have a registeted EPIRB, 2 fixed VHFs w/DSC registered VHFs, a ditchkit (w/passive and active signals such as rocket/handheld flares, smoke, mirrors, strobe lights, whistles, a handheld  VHF/GPS, & first aid kit, food/ water rations), a damage control kit, a bag containing life vests, and a small inflatable raft.

I also have a stand-alone emergency backup battery, with backup bulge pump on board.  I have towing insurance, with posted contact info, and speed dial USCG S&R, AND towing company in my phone.

Be aware that emergencies can happen very quickly or have a delayed or progressive onset.

Best rule of thumb is to

BE PREPARED.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

One of my former mentors was a retired senior chief PO and during the Vietnam war he spent some time in the gulf of Tonkin aboard the USS Forestall.  Some of you may know the story of how it became fondly refered to as the USS Forestfire.  Fire at sea is the worst of all possible worst case scenarios.  I read the book and spent hours talking with him about it while we drifted along the SF Bay fishing.  There's not much you can tell a man who survived  explosions, fires and chaos on board an aircraft carrier at sea except, thank you for your service and please pass me another herring my baits gone.  One of the things I learned from him through these outings is preparation, communication and everyone's a fireman at sea.  It's impossible to be prepared for everything but you can build on what you have done so far and become better prepared, I'm not prepared for everything not by a long shot but I am better prepared than I was last season.
That and there's only one thing that will make a man jump from the deck of an aircraft carrier at Sea.  Lee knows what it is.

Adam Davies

Quote from: David Hall on September 21, 2016, 02:16:39 AMThat and there's only one thing that will make a man jump from the deck of an aircraft carrier at Sea.  Lee knows what it is.

Great story! Thanks for sharing it.