Mitchell Mag Pro Lite / Pflueger Supreme XT

Started by Rob Lee, July 01, 2013, 12:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Lee

Hi,

A few months ago i bought 2 of this reels. In the US they are known as the Pflueger Supreme XT (but the drag is from the Pflueger Supreme MG)

A lot of people (in the netherlands) have big problems(failures) with their drag.
I find out that the wrong drag washers put in it. The inner diameter is 8mm instead of 4mm, so they get out of place and even torn.

I want to replace the 3 standard oil felt washers (19,7 X 4 X 1,1) with carbon drag washers.
But i have a question. The thickness of felt drag washer is 1,1mm. Should i use the same thickness for the carbon drag or a bit thinner ie. 0,8mm, becuase normally when you thighten your drag, you also press the felt drag washer together.

I see several carbontex(sheets) sellers on the internet. Is this the same material as from smoothdrag?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rob Lee

I already looked at this list.
I think #8 and/or #8A from smootdrag are better matches. But i am not sure about the thickness as i mentioned.

Cone

measure the drag stack, subtract the thickness of the metals and divide the remainder by the number of drag washers. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Rob Lee

Thank you, but...
That wasn't the question. I know the thickness of the felt washers and the possible carbon washers .

If you tighten the slip, you will press the felt a certain percentage together.
Is this percentage negligible or do i need thinner carbon washers because of this.

My felt washers are 1.1 mm . Should i choose 0.65 or 1 mm carbon?

I have to replace 3 washers. If i choose the 0.65mm carbon the whole bunch will be1.35mm thinner  (3 x 0.45).
Seems a little, but my dragknob has a rubber seal and i don't know if it will fit (close) correctly.
And if i take the 1mm washers, maybe its too thick.

Wolli

order Smoothdrag washers no. #8 (19.5x4.2x1.0mm) and dont worry about the drag knob.
Take only care that the spool ring (part #3) fits without any pressure to the drag stag.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Rob Lee

Cone

As long as you can get the drag washer retainer in your golden. I have a few that the retainer won't fit. It's not a problem unless your changing spools. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Rob Lee

Quote from: Cone on July 03, 2013, 01:54:11 AM
As long as you can get the drag washer retainer in your golden. I have a few that the retainer won't fit. It's not a problem unless your changing spools. Bob

Sorry, i read this several times.
Can you explain egain? English isn't my motherlanguage.

Bucktail

Quote from: Rob Lee on July 06, 2013, 06:08:23 AM
Quote from: Cone on July 03, 2013, 01:54:11 AM

Sorry, i read this several times.
Can you explain egain? English isn't my motherlanguage.

Generally there is a wire retaining clip that fits on the top on the spool. It keeps the drag washers from falling out if you remove the drag knob.  If the washers are too thick, the drag stack will be too high, and the wire retainer may not fit.

Just a jig-a-lo

Rob Lee

Ah, ok i understand.

But the spool of thus reel doesn´t have such clip.
On top of the spool (and washers') there is a cover with 3 screws and a hole with a smaller diameter so the washers can´t fall out.

Ron Jones

Then the same rule applies,
As long as you can get the cover screwed on then your reel will work.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rob Lee