Garmin 3006C Antenna Compatability.....

Started by rscotth, July 09, 2013, 02:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rscotth

I recently purchased a Garmin 3006C but with no antenna. The Garmin site says the only antenna compatible with this unit is the GA-17 but mine is NMEA0183 not 2000 and they are quite pricey.
Anyone know of any aftermarket antennas that would work with my GPS? I will not be networking and this will be stand alone with exception of wiring in the DSC feature to the vhf.

Seems like a standard 12 parallel channel nmea0183 receiver would work or am I thinking wrong.

Thanks
RSH

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

rscotth

I think I have the answer to my own question: I plan on buying a Haicom "puck" receiver that is supposed to be ultra sensitive and will save me space on my small 17' CC. The only issue is that I will have to cut the connector and splice into the NMEA0183 bundle which is no big deal as you have to do this with the recommended antenna.

I will be using as a stand alone GPS but this has a lot of features a bigger boat could take advantage of like networking with other nmea devices sonar, vhf ect....

Nuvole

You brought a chart plotter w/o GPS.

The GPS 17 is a antenna combine with GPS board and output a standard "NMEA-0183" RS232 string.
Yeah, any cheap GPS that output "NMEA-0183" should work. RS232 is a compatibleto any computer serial port(the one with 9 pin or 25 pin for very old computer). It only required two wire to read the data.

rscotth

Thank you for the reply but the GPSMAP 3006C is a a gps / chart plotter and only needed the antenna with 12  (or more) waas capable channels to operate. I actually bought an ps2 connector gps 18X and spliced into the nmea-0183 bundle and it works well and acquired the satellites very quick on the initial search.

I think you may have been referring to the ability to add a sonar board (and transducer) but I already have a sounder and will use this as a stand alone GPS but also wired into the VHF for the DSC feature. I do like the big screen but does dwarf my 300C sounder.
Regards

RSH

willybendit

Hi  Rscotth    could you give me some advice please ive just bought a Garmin  2006c plotter and would like to wire it to my  Standard Horizon 2100E  V H F Radio so that the units can talk to each other is it possible to wire in a second plotter as ive a 178c that i use as a sounder only and as back up should the 2006c pack in for any reason i can still navigate home   regards Alain