Why carbontex under main gear?

Started by basto, July 11, 2013, 04:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 05, 2014, 03:58:22 PM
Newell original 4-stack drag system was proably the best design to demonstrate the benefits of using an under gear drag washer.  the undergear drag washer was the same as what was used in the gear stack, and separated a drag plate on the gear sleeve and the main gear.  it allowed another drag surface to increase the drag numbers slightly (3# or so).  This was my convincing reason as to why I use CF for under the main gear. 

I think Delrin and CF combo would be a good fit. Delrin is a bearing material that can take a lot of abuse while maintaining form.  I would place this between the gear sleeve and the under gear CF washer.  The problem is I don't know where to find this material in the thickness that I want.
Shimano did the same thing with their Triton Mark1 in 1982
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Tiddlerbasher

Bryan - For teflon and delrin try Ebay. I recently purchased 4sheets of teflon (.5mm to 1.5mm thick) approx 100mm x 100mm. They cost approx $4-5.

Frank

Basto, that's a great drag set up. A removable keyed washer to support the drag washer under the gear. The washer does not have to be pressed to the sleeve and it can be removed for cleaning and greasing to prevent corrosion issues. Very sharp!!!

[/quote]
Shimano did the same thing with their Triton Mark1 in 1982

[/quote]
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Frank

So the sleeve has two flat spots that continue all the way down to it's dog gear. A metal keyed washer then a drag washer then the main gear are installed. Can anyone see issues with the main gear riding on a section of the sleeve with flat spots?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Frank

I can't come up with any downsides. It's so simple. As long as a sideplate can accommodate the the rise in the main gear from the extra washer it should be good to go! No more compressed, distorted fiber washers and the dog will be operating in a cavity with nice flat metal on both sides.

basto

I also have a Mark 2 ( a wider version of Mark 1) and all drag components are in very good condition.
It is a puzzle why Shimano moved from this configuration. May be cost.
I put carbontex drags in both reels and all is going well.

Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

johnachak

Quote from: Bucktail on July 12, 2013, 03:01:59 AM
Which brings us back to this.  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W2ghsIY94YPnBYS9QhND-p_tpbvAJHGxilDgmlH4wxY/edit?pli=1

FWIW, I'm not on either side of this debate.  I have changed out many of my reels drags to Carbontex or HT100.  Of those that I've changed out, some have a carbon washer under the main gear and some still have the stock fiber washer.  I have not noticed any significant difference between the two.

I agree. I only change the originals when they wear, become brittle etc. and then I use a CF. I haven't noticed any real difference either.