Reel Recommendations

Started by mawaru, July 11, 2013, 09:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mawaru

Hi Guys,

I'm just getting into more saltwater fishing now, having done primarily freshwater. ;D So I bought a Black Steel 6470-7. I'm looking for a reel to pair with it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've been considering a Avet JX 6/3. Then after doing some research more, I'm debating on buying a used reel (e.g. Jigmaster 500) and upgrading it (new frame, drag, etc).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I like the thought of being able to re-build the reel. I'm unsure though because I don't know if a re-build will end up costing more to get the same performance as I would have with a new JX for example.

Thanks!
-Roland

Bryan Young

Either reel is fine as the rod in you purchased is a 40# reel. 

What will you be fishing for?  would you need to adjust your drags while fishing?  Are you planning to fish with braided line or mono? 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Hi Roland, buying a new reel is fun, but building it the way it pleases you is much more enjoyable. Welcome to The Club.     Rudy

mawaru

Hey Bryan,

Thanks for the fast response!

Great question. I like bottom fishing. So I would use it for anything that bites!  ;D Snapper, sea bass, grouper, amberjacks, etc.

I was planning on using braid. Someone told me Diamond Momoi is the way to go. As far as adjusting the drag, no, I didn't think I would need to.

Thanks!

mawaru

Quote from: RowdyW on July 11, 2013, 09:49:46 PM
Hi Roland, buying a new reel is fun, but building it the way it pleases you is much more enjoyable. Welcome to The Club.     Rudy

Hi Rudy,

Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking! With that in mind, is there any particular reel you can recommend rebuilding? Ex: Jigmaster 500, 114, Newells, etc.

Thanks,
Roland

Bryan Young

Hi Roland,

Oh yeah, welcome.

For a 40# braid top-shot rig, you are probably using 65 or 80# braid...

Penn - Penn Jigmaster or 112H.  I would prefer a Penn 112H with a topless tiburon frame.  With a 5 stack drag washer system, you'll have more than enough drag.

Newell - Depending on depth you are fishing, 200, 300, or 400 series.  Again, it depends on depth, and therefore, line capacity.  All have essentially the same drag package.  Difference is gear rations and diameter of reel.

ProGear - PG 545, PG541 - Braid ready with old-school Penn technology.  Solid frame and sideplate, and Penn 4/0 guts with 4;1 gear ratio.  Size of a 2/0 and 3/0, respectively.

Avet - MX or JX, but if you can afford it, the Rapture series are top knotch with all the drag you need.

Release - ???  I have yet to hear a bad thing about that reel and have yet had one in to inspection as well.

That would be my recommendation off the top of my head
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

day0ne

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 11, 2013, 10:24:41 PM

Avet - MX or JX, but if you can afford it, the Rapture series are top knotch with all the drag you need.

Avet is responsible for the Rapture?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ron Jones

For 40# braid I don't think you can beat a steel geared 112H. If you have the coin to swing a T3NK then I would do it. SS everything et all and either Lee's insert or Bryan's drags. Can fish 40# without even thinking about sweating and all the capacity you need.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

Roland, I would go with a Penn 113h or hl. There are more parts & modifications available for them then any other reel. You can go as far as you want to spend & stop anytime you want. Once you get into the modifications it might become addictive.     Rudy

mawaru

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate all of the recommendations!   :D

Bryan Young

One main thing I'm worried about with the older penns is the gap between the spool and frame. This is evident even with the upgrades.

CapeFish

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 12, 2013, 06:08:17 AM
One main thing I'm worried about with the older penns is the gap between the spool and frame. This is evident even with the upgrades.

that is why I don't regret getting rid of every old Penn reel I had, no matter how nostalgic people get about them, it is a choice of fishing or trips ruined by line swallowing.

Ron Jones

Thankfully my Newell kits don't seem to have the issue. 50 pound braid won't get pinched on my Tuna Special.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

jonathan.han

If you're fishing the larger reef species, you're going to want every piece of mechanical advantage you can get. Most important: Gear ratio and cranking power. Get something with lower gears, but not so low that you don't get a lot of line with each crank. A two speed might be nice, but you're going to buy more gear if this becomes more than an interest.

I think if you chose a Black Steel Seeker rod, then an Avet might be okay for you. Then again, if you get into lever drags, you've got a lot of options.

Momoi is great line. Stiff and IGFA rated. The bad part is knots don't tie very well and it burns itself a lot when cinching knots. I can tie a bimini in it, but I'd rather tie a bimini in other lines first. I don't even use biminis much myself, but some people still feel comfortable using them. I'd go with a quality fluorocarbon over Momoi. That is a whole new set of suggestions. Remember, you're going to talk to 5 people and they'll give you 10 suggestions. Pick one and realize you're on a learning path.

raw instinct

Newell Nut

For bottom fishing for grouper and large snapper you must turn them from the reef quickly or you are guaranteed a cut off. Get a nice Newell 631-3 and add an Alantani power handle too it as I just did and you have a winch that will turn them quickly with a very strong drag. I use 60 lb momoi Diamond and it will turn them. Those first few turns are critical with no drag slippage to stop your leader from getting sliced on the reef.