Reel Recommendations

Started by mawaru, July 11, 2013, 09:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Not knocking anyone here, I wouldn't recommend a reel that has been discontinuedand with replacement parts that are hard to get.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

doradoben

I would respectfully agree with Alto Mare. Mawaru did say he was just getting into more saltwater fishing. He bought a 40 lb. rod, but it would also be helpful to know if he really intends to fish 40 lb. line and where he will be fishing.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: mawaru on July 11, 2013, 09:42:31 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm just getting into more saltwater fishing now, having done primarily freshwater. ;D So I bought a Black Steel 6470-7. I'm looking for a reel to pair with it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've been considering a Avet JX 6/3. Then after doing some research more, I'm debating on buying a used reel (e.g. Jigmaster 500) and upgrading it (new frame, drag, etc).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I like the thought of being able to re-build the reel. I'm unsure though because I don't know if a re-build will end up costing more to get the same performance as I would have with a new JX for example.

Thanks!
-Roland

IMO a two speed reel offers way more flexibility in fishing methods and for species targeted than a single speed reel. Fishing deep around structure, like already stated, means turning the fish away from said structure as fast as you can which means having power. A low speed reel has the power but not speed. Cranking up from deep drops with a low speed reel can be tiresome when changing baits, checking lines, moving back over the structure and such. This is where a higher speed reel would shine or of you wanted to try some higher speed jigging. So you can see why I prefer a two speed reel for this type of fishing. I fish in Baja a lot and use my JX 6/3 as my go to 40 lb reel, I fish Calstar rods but a Seeker Black Steel 6470 is a great 40 lb rod and would match up very nicely with a JX. I set my drags at 10 pounds at strike with my JX which allows me to bump the lever past strike if needed and still be below the 33% of my lines breaking strength.

Some may say being new to the saltwater scene stick with a single speed reel to keep cost down but I on the other hand say a two speed is the way to go. One two speed reel will cover more applications which will save you money in the long run. As you get further and further into this type of fishing you WILL want to try different types of ways to entice a strike and a two speed reel can cover many more bases than one single speed.

I use my JX for grouper, jacks like yellowtail, amber jack and jack crevalle as well sailfish, dorado and stripped marlin. Here is a pic of a almaco jack, very closely related to a AJ, taken with my JX 6/3.

jonathan.han

When I used to work in tackle shops, I would tell people to honestly asses their level of fishing enthusiasm. If you think you are a tenderfoot, then going in and investing on something that seems like what most hardcore guys are using might be overkill, but then I would say, "You could buy this entry reel and still end up buying this one you feel like is overkill once you are addicted or you could just buy it now. This way, you're buying one reel now versus two down the road wishing you had just gotten the appropriate reel in the first place."
raw instinct

broschro

Quote from: CapeFish on July 12, 2013, 08:09:00 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on July 12, 2013, 06:08:17 AM
One main thing I'm worried about with the older penns is the gap between the spool and frame. This is evident even with the upgrades.

that is why I don't regret getting rid of every old Penn reel I had, no matter how nostalgic people get about them, it is a choice of fishing or trips ruined by line swallowing.
I have been fishing my two 113hs with all the good's with braid and my 505 jigmaster with braid long top shot of 5 to 10 yards, and vertical jig with my narrow and have never had a problem with this.   O  and I forgot to mention, I fish them very hard two to three times a month and catch big fish with um ;)

CapeFish

Quote from: broschro on July 14, 2013, 10:32:04 PM
Quote from: CapeFish on July 12, 2013, 08:09:00 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on July 12, 2013, 06:08:17 AM
One main thing I'm worried about with the older penns is the gap between the spool and frame. This is evident even with the upgrades.

that is why I don't regret getting rid of every old Penn reel I had, no matter how nostalgic people get about them, it is a choice of fishing or trips ruined by line swallowing.
I have been fishing my two 113hs with all the good's with braid and my 505 jigmaster with braid long top shot of 5 to 10 yards, and vertical jig with my narrow and have never had a problem with this.   O  and I forgot to mention, I fish them very hard two to three times a month and catch big fish with um ;)

I should have clarified that I surfcast. It should not be a problem fishing from a boat. With long hard casts there is inevitably some slack in the line that forms, especially if the reel has no cast control. It is not really an overwind, perhaps you can call it a pre-overwind. There are some slow-mo videos on you tube of casting where you can see it, will try and find it. This slack very easily slips between spool and frame if the gap is too big resulting in ruined line and an overwind. On a reel with a very close tolerance this does not happen. Even when you get an overwind it can just be pulled out with usually no damage unless it was a world record cast attempt gone wrong then no reel is going to save you  :)

Ron Jones

Ha!
When I started casting Penns the old man told me that I had figured it out when the line went slack on the spool and the cast was long enough to pull out the mess AND you stopped the spool at the right time. It took me 1 and a half years to do it, I think I was 11.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mawaru

Quote from: doradoben on July 13, 2013, 07:25:29 AM
I would respectfully agree with Alto Mare. Mawaru did say he was just getting into more saltwater fishing. He bought a 40 lb. rod, but it would also be helpful to know if he really intends to fish 40 lb. line and where he will be fishing.

Wow! I really appreciate everyone's feedback! This is all very helpful!

I bought a 6470-7 because after doing some research I thought the 40lb range would cover me in case I land a big one. It was either the Black Steel or the GF 700M... As far as where I fish, I'll usually fish off North Carolina (OKI) for some Mahi, snapper, AJs, etc. I've been "rocked" a couple times there, so I know that feeling. ;)

Aside from OKI though, I intend on fishing SoCal. I've only been pier fishing at Newport, but I was gonna head there next month. So really, I'll fish anywhere I can take my rod. :p

SoCalAngler

Roland,

Here in So Cal on trips in the 3 day and shorter length 40 lb test is not used much. 30 lb test and lighter is used most often but when you go on trips of 4 to around 7 days 40 lb will be the test fished most often. On overnight trips up to the 3 day range I do bring a 40 lb test setup as just in case setup. Most of the time that setup never leaves the rod rack. You being in North Carolina you have mentioned 2 very nice 40 lb test rods fished here on the left coast. I don't know where you got your info about the rods but it is very solid.

MarkT

I use an Avet JX 6/3 on my G6470 for 40#. It was acid wrapped by J.Akuhed. Best fish so far was a 45# Yellowtail at Cedros Island fishing from a panga. I've used it for rockfish and Humbolt squid (40#'ers). I like the low gear near the bottom then switch to high after the swim bladders blow. It's a great combo.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bunnlevel Sharker

Hey dude your fishing my home turf at OKI! Me and my buddies shark fish down there alot of the piers, my recomendations for reels for bait fishing would be a 4/0 or a black 6/0 with 130lb braid. Ive never had much jigging experience.
Grayson Lanier