Fin Nor/ Penn Spinfisher V 10500

Started by turboal, July 13, 2013, 06:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboal

Hi Allen, I am looking to buy a big HD spinning reel. I am down to a Fin Nor OFS9500 and a Penn Spinfisher V 10500.
I have read many posts on the Finn Nor some good some bad. I have a Penn 9500 and like it. The Spinfisher V seems
to be a upgraded version with a much stronger drag system. I don't see much on it yet as it is pretty new.
what is your opinion pros and cons on these 2 reels. They are both under my $200.00 range.

alantani

i needed a big spinner and got the okuma cedros.  it's held up well.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

Quote from: alantani on July 15, 2013, 05:34:43 PM
i needed a big spinner and got the okuma cedros.  it's held up well.

Alan, you and a spinner :o I don't believe it.lol
luck is the residue of design.

alantani

i didn't fish with it for very long.  we were at cedros island.  i hooked in a big yellowtail, and it was grabbed by a sealion.  i hung on for less than a minute, then handed the rod off to my nephew.  he eventually lost the tug of war and all he got back was the head, without a a scrap of meat on it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cone

I wish I could help you. I don't own either one. I think they both have pluses and minuses. The Fin Nor has ss gears but I have heard of some problems. Alan Hawk did a review on the Spinfisher V here.
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/spf.html He had a problem. Has Penn and Fin Nor addressed their problems? I don't know. I'm still fishing with the Penn SS series reels from the 4500 to the 9500ss. Good luck.    Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cone on July 17, 2013, 12:03:12 AM
I'm still fishing with the Penn SS series reels from the 4500 to the 9500ss. Good luck.    Bob
Same here, some even have stainless steel dogs and ratchets.
We where also able to double the drag capacity on some.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

spottybastard

I have a Pen SPF V 3500 and I'm pretty darn impressed, its been bullet proof, I've been taking it surf fishing about every other week, just hose it off before I put it away, its ready to go again.  I also have two Penn Conquerors 8000, they also seem to be pretty bullet proof.  I almost bought the Okuma RawII 80, its got a spine shattering 50#s of  drag, but once I compared it with the Penn side by side, the Penn was just a way nicer, smoother and better put together...

Just my $0.02