Slosh Frames

Started by SoCalAngler, July 19, 2013, 05:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spize909

Just took advantage of that show special and ordered the frame for my sl20 X frame. ;D

ez2cdave

My only complaint is that they didn't kick the gearbox forward, like a Daiwa Saltist BG 20/30 . . . Makes it cramped for casting in the "factory" location !

spize909

True, but the whole housing is machined to be quite a bit smaller. That helps a lot.

RocketDog

Does anyone know if the 50 DAIWA SLX50SHA  frame upgrade will work on the older made in Japan SL5OSH?

Will an upgraded frame SL5OSH with carbontex upgrade be strong enough for #50 line and bigger class tuna? 
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights.

spize909

I would contact Mike regarding the application.

As for fishing 50 on it, I think you'd be at about the max on the drag capabilities. Not sure how much the kit will change that.
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/401379-max-drag-daiwa-50slx-with-carbontex/

I'd fish 50 on it........

spize909

Thought I'd post a couple of pics to show how the frame reduces the size a bit. These little 20's feel like a baitcaster now. I have yet to fish the X but soon................

Cor

Quote from: RocketDog on May 18, 2016, 02:37:33 AM
Does anyone know if the 50 DAIWA SLX50SHA  frame upgrade will work on the older made in Japan SL5OSH?

Will an upgraded frame SL5OSH with carbontex upgrade be strong enough for #50 line and bigger class tuna?  
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights.

I've fished Diawa SL50SH solely for 22 years and always load it with 50lb line.   I've also always preferred the old Smoothdrag dry Smoothies rather then the Carbontex washers in those reels because I like a drag I can lock down when it suits me.   I have caught many Yellowtail and even some Tuna on these reels.  These reel are strong, durable, cast well and easy to maintain and not once has one broken on me, other then a spring which then gets into the gears and makes the reel inoperable or excessive grease on the anti reverse dog, which stops it from engaging...LOL

Is it an Ideal reel for large Tuna?  No I don't think so and they will for sure eventually break it but the reel can do it.  Perhaps an Aluminum frame will make it even stronger.

PS I don't think you can fit the parts of a SL50 in to a SLX50 frame though quite a few parts are interchangeable.
Cornelis

spize909

I didn't see that he wanted to go from a slsh to an X. No way that will work but I think he has frames for both? The issue would be the Japanese model if it is different.

ez2cdave

Quote from: spize909 on May 22, 2016, 06:37:54 PM
I didn't see that he wanted to go from a slsh to an X. No way that will work but I think he has frames for both? The issue would be the Japanese model if it is different.

http://www.socal-fishing-hunting.com/SL20SH.html

http://www.socal-fishing-hunting.com/SLX20SHA.html

http://www.socal-fishing-hunting.com/SLX50SHA_UPGRADE.html

ez2cdave

Quote from: spize909 on May 21, 2016, 09:36:06 PM
Thought I'd post a couple of pics to show how the frame reduces the size a bit. These little 20's feel like a baitcaster now. I have yet to fish the X but soon................

I changed up a few "values" in your pics to show more "shadow detail" . . .

steelfish

dang...!!! looks sexy

The Baja Guy

spize909

first time I fished with it a deckhand said the same thing.... ;D

bhale1

hello everyone...new to the forum...but this thread caught my eye. I have the slx-30sha upgrade frame with no clamp provisions. I would like to put it on a United Composites deckhand rod, has anyone used the Daiwa or Tiburon universal reel clamp on their socal=fish-hunt frames??  thanks for any info or insight. cuz I heard the machined feet may not work with these clamps

swill88

Quote from: bhale1 on December 29, 2016, 05:58:46 PM
hello everyone...new to the forum...but this thread caught my eye. I have the slx-30sha upgrade frame with no clamp provisions. I would like to put it on a United Composites deckhand rod, has anyone used the Daiwa or Tiburon universal reel clamp on their socal=fish-hunt frames??  thanks for any info or insight. cuz I heard the machined feet may not work with these clamps

Welcome bhale1

I'm going to try exactly that setup with the Daiwa clamp.

If you can wait a couple of weeks I'll report here idf it fits.

Steve

ez2cdave

There is also the JR JONES "Cork Puppy" clamp . . .

Tight Lines !