Threaded Inserts for Newell 200 and 300 Series

Started by Newell Nut, April 03, 2013, 12:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I recently was in need of some threaded inserts for a friends Newell 220. Alan was able to bail me out on this one but I have since found options.
Option 1 is to replace the threaded inserts on a 220 with a Penn crossbar from a 501. It is a perfect fit and greatly increases the strength of the 220 frame.

Option 2: I tried to recreate the threaded insert and found a way.
McMaster Carr part numbers 93090A430 and 93090A420. These are SS and called ClinchStyle Captive Female Thread Round Standoff with Closed end. The two number represent 3/8" and 5/16" length. You also need to order the 4-40 SS screws. Newell uses 5-40 but no problem the 4-40 phillips head screw works perfect and certainly strong enough to hold the side plate and rings tightly together to keep water out.

Small problem: These pieces are not threaded as deep as the originals so you must order 3/8" screws and 5/16" screws to match the insert.

Next small problem: The inserts are .0015" larger than the inner ring hole because Newell designed it to grip the knurled insert that he bought. Simple fix is to buy a miniature round file from ACE hardware and hit it about 3 to 4 quick strokes on the inner ring hole and .0015 is gone. Do not over do it. .0015 is about half the thickness of printer paper.

I have 50 sets with screws if some of you want a set or two for a small fee. Just PM me or order a bag of each.

bluefish69

Someone on here told me to drill the inserts with a size 38 or 39 drill bit & tap the inserts with a 5/40 tap.

VW has 5/40 taps 4 sale
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Newell Nut

No need to drill and tap. The 4-40 ss screw is plenty strong and the head size is only a few thaousandths smaller than a 5-40 head and snugs up in the ring recess just fine.

Got a note from Greg Chow and for the 229s and 332s you can use a Penn 112H 3/0 crossbar which would add quite a bit of stiffness to the frame for another option.

Newell Nut

One more update to this little adventure. Rather than folks spending $4 in gas to get a $2 file, I tried cutting a little strip of sandpaper and rolling it up and with the side plates in place I could just twist the sand paper around in the hole in the SS ring. This took 3 of the little strips of sand paper and all of about 3 minutes time and the inserts fit.
These inserts will actually last longer than the Newell ones because they have a thicker wall mainly due to being drilled and tapped for 4-40 instead of a 5-40 screw.
The Newell ones will last as long as the reel except for the people that don't wash their reels after fishing. Failure to properly maintain a reel allows these little thin walled inserts to rust out. I have only seen this in two reels that were seriously neglected.

Newell Nut

The inserts are now listed on ebay under Newell 200. Pics are there so you can see what they look like and the finished product on my 229.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Newell Nut on April 03, 2013, 08:04:14 AM
Got a note from Greg Chow and for the 229s and 332s you can use a Penn 112H 3/0 crossbar which would add quite a bit of stiffness to the frame for another option.

I've done this on a few reels. Works great if you don't mind the cross bar.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

The crossbar on the little reel makes it extra stiff though. Does it interfere with casting at all on the little 220? I have stiffened all of my little reels with Tiburon frames.

The new inserts are the way to go and keep it clean. I am using Mil Spec 316 screws to match the 316 insert and they should last as long as the reel now.

tenderloin

On eBay there are quality brand new SS inserts. Both sizes made to OEM specs at reasonable pricing.

Frank

Quote from: tenderloin on November 12, 2018, 07:47:53 PM
On eBay there are quality brand new SS inserts. Both sizes made to OEM specs at reasonable pricing.

I can attest to the high quality of these replacements! I bought several and I'm very happy with them.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Swami805

Me too, all the parts have been top shelf. Nice to have a source to keep the newells going!
Do what you can with that you have where you are