TLD 5 Modifications

Started by Rothmar2, July 23, 2013, 02:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Good to see you're still thinking 'outside the box' Chris, that's a different approach to building a grip and it does look different to the run of the mill designs although I'm not sure I agree with 'weird' - It seems to fit your hand well as you said and that's the whole point of making custom stuff.
The CF sheathing looks great, I've got a lot more appreciation of the CF work that blokes like you and Marq have done after my less than successful experiment with a similar material.  :-[
The torium arm looks like it was made for the TLD 5 the way it neatly clears the pre-set knob in the short throw position.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Dominick

Hey Chris, that handle shape does not look weird to me.  It looks very ergonomic and I imagine it would fit the hand very well.  Nice work as usual.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Gfish

Cool! To me that's a new style of knob. Looks real ergonomic.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

basto

Nice work! Torium handles are great. I use them on my 20/40 reels. Very strong and extra length.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

handi2

I really like the little TLD reels and have a couple. The handle seems it would be too heavy for this reel. Just my opinion.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ruffy

Awesome work Chris! How much 4 kg line can you fit on a TLD 5? And what size fish are you targeting with this beast?

Cheers,
Andrew

Rothmar2

Quote from: Ruffy on December 03, 2017, 11:03:57 PM
Awesome work Chris! How much 4 kg line can you fit on a TLD 5? And what size fish are you targeting with this beast?

Cheers,
Andrew

G'day Andrew,

It holds 500m of 4kg Momoi, but only just. But with 250-300m of this line class out, you need to be almost in free-spool as water pressure will pop the line. I think the current men's Aust. 4kg record for SBT is around the 24kg mark the last time I looked. A couple have been landed around the 12-16kg mark on this reel. There has been a few albacore and striped Tuna also caught, and they also pull plenty of string on this rig. It's all fun!
Keith, the heavier Torium crank does not upset the balance of this reel too much. The 5 is narrow as it is, so the extra tipping moment is not that great. I barely notice it when the reel is mounted on a rod, as the reel is still overall very light anyway.
Thanks for the other comments guys.