Penn long beach 60 frame

Started by Mentonemoose, July 23, 2013, 06:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

I am thinkning of making the LB-60 frame a kickstarter project. It will require that I get a prototype cut before I can start it.
I have got some quotes on making them, but still they are a bit too expensive. I am working on getting the price down.
A kickstarter project may reach out to more people and may increase the number I can make and by this get the price down to an acceptable level.

If any of you know a CNC machinist that will take on the task cutting the frames for a reasonable cost, please PM me!
It doesn't matter if it is in the US or elsewhere in the world.
Chineese crooks that wants more than $100 a piece won't get the job. :)

SteveL

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 06, 2014, 03:15:27 AM
I know that it has been a while, but it's always good to share some information from my good friend Ted.
Here is what he sent me:

Hello Sal, just been visiting the site (alantani) and saw a lengthy discussion about a penn 60 and possible upgrades. Someone pictured a 60 that has a clamp and others claimed it was from a 49, then it just kinda went away.

Well here it is, the 1941 long beach with the rod clamp and in same picture is optional accessories listed in the #9 catalog from 1941. The 4 different widths offered in the catalog pretty much covers most of penns lighter reels at that time, but it was a $2 add-on to a $6.50 reel(long beach 60), so it is very tough to find them. I believe they discontinued offering the 1-13/16 clamp stand(60) prior to 1950 or somewhere thereabout.
Perhaps you could share this pic with those on that thread.

P.S. This one is not for sale, and yes, it is all original to 1941 and it is a rare beauty.

Tight Lines my friend, Ted

So the consensus here is that the reel previously rumored to be a 49 width Long Beach was actually a standard width (1-13/16") Long Beach 60 with an optional stand that was discontinued around 1950.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 06, 2014, 03:15:27 AM
I know that it has been a while, but it's always good to share some information from my good friend Ted.
Here is what he sent me:

Hello Sal, just been visiting the site (alantani) and saw a lengthy discussion about a penn 60 and possible upgrades. Someone pictured a 60 that has a clamp and others claimed it was from a 49, then it just kinda went away.

Well here it is, the 1941 long beach with the rod clamp and in same picture is optional accessories listed in the #9 catalog from 1941. The 4 different widths offered in the catalog pretty much covers most of penns lighter reels at that time, but it was a $2 add-on to a $6.50 reel(long beach 60), so it is very tough to find them. I believe they discontinued offering the 1-13/16 clamp stand(60) prior to 1950 or somewhere thereabout.
Perhaps you could share this pic with those on that thread.

P.S. This one is not for sale, and yes, it is all original to 1941 and it is a rare beauty.

Tight Lines my friend, Ted

That's another 'Ted Beauty'
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.