Shimano Reel Maintenance on YouTube

Started by Bryan Young, March 05, 2010, 05:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I was hoping to find spinners as my Twin-Drag from Japan is long overdue for an overhall.  It's my favorite spinner, and it was a gift from one of my fishing buddies in Japan to catch hamachi from shore.  No joy though, but was a great experience.  completely different fishing techniques.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

KenG

Hi Alan, I worked through the Shimano tutorial, and have previously looked at yours for my TLD 20 and Penn GLS 225 reels.  I was wondering what you thought of two things: 1) they smear grease on only one half of the main gear, and don't put any on the pinion gear.  I use a stiff brush and put a thin coat of Penn muscle grease on all tooth surfaces of both gears.  Seems kind of sloppy to smear it on one half.  2)  The tech cleans the drag and puts a "fingerprint" of shimano drag grease on the drags.  Seems kind of light, especially after looking at your tutorials.
Ken

alantani

ken, remember, i just smeared the grease all over just to tick off the guys that were still saying that grease was bad.  a thin coat is fine.  after the reel is under pressure, that is all you will have left anyway. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!