Shimano Triton 300 Thrust bearing drag system

Started by hurt locker, July 31, 2013, 03:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurt locker

After A couple of years of getting info from this forum, I felt it is time for me to try and give back. A few years back I was looking for a real good reel for big Blue cats to use on the James River and decided to give the Triton 300 a try and came to realize that this reel had a different drag system in it compared to other reels that I had worked on. It uses a big Thrust bearing to not only center the handle but transfer pressure from the star down to the drag plates via 2 cone washers with the cones facing each other that allows the bearing to roll when there is a high or low spot as it rotates.
  I had to replace the original woven Titanium drag plates with either Carbontek plates or HT-100's and a nylon plate under the gear from a Daiwa 47sh obtained from Smooothdrag. The drag stack is as follows; under the gear is a Penn #320, then the 47sh nylon plate that fills the recess machined in the bottom of the drive gear that levels out the recess, then the drive gear, then a Penn 113h and the 1st metal plate, then a Penn 320 and the metal plate with the dog ears, then another 113h and the top plate, then the HEAVY cone washer with the cone pointed up, then the Thinner cone washer with the cone pointed down, then the Thrust bearing and the bushing on top of that. After reassembly the star will push directly on the bushing and all pressure will be distributed by the Thrust washer and cones to the outside edge of the drag stack.
  The Triton has a ratio of 5/1 and because it has a big diameter spool it picks up 32 inches of line per handle turn it works well turning the circle hooks on the big Blues when they pick up the bait and run towards you.  Also the Triton has a handle drive shaft that is a beefy 1/2 inch in diameter.
  Here are a few pictures;
   Just remembered--- all drag plated coated with Cal's grease.

alantani

very interesting design.  i have never had one of these apart before.  thanks for the photos!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hurt locker

You are welcome, Alan !!!  A couple of other things about this reel are; I have tested it at my workbench on a Tiger Rod and got over 20 lbs of drag and it was still smooth. I have never exceeded 12-- 14 lbs while fishing it at the James and they have caught some very large Blue cats. It is all aluminum frame and side plates and spool with a large diameter axle. Only has 1 spool bearing on the clicker side, other side is a bushing. And when you re- assemble it the bridge it will click/snap into place on the side plate to insure proper alignment. I have rebuilt the drag on 16 of these for my friends and myself and it took me at least a year to realize how this reel was designed. My 1 friend wanted to shim the play out of the handle and I said I didn't think that would be a good idea when it hit me how it works. One of those things that you know but don't know you know!!!!! Also the capacity is 360 yds of 20 lb test. The 400 uses the same mechanicals but has a wider frame and level wind and spool.
  Just my opinion but I think it is an exceptional reel that has hidden itself well since they were built from 1987-1993. 
  Thanks, Mike

basto

I can`t think of many other makers who had a conventional star drag reel with a solid one piece metal frame at this time. Maybe Daiwa and Pro gear.
These reels are gems. I have a Mark 1 and 2 and would love to aquire a Mark 3S (no levelwind)
Thanks for the read. Love that drag!
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Stuck

Thanks for the advice. I bought my 4S in '84 and it's still a pleasure to use. I've got a 400 here somewhere too that I bought as a parts reel but I can't fault it. How do you reckon the levelwind would stand up to 20lbs of drag   ??? ?
Something like this Basto ?.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Triton-Mag-Mark-III-Reel-Magnetic-Control-System-Titanium-Drag-/300974255999?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461376af7f

basto

They are just beautiful. It is surprising how many people have never heard of these reels and also think that black frame is graphite.
Very durable reels! I think the levelwind would be OK with 20lbs of drag.

hurt locker

Basto, I agree that few people understand how good these reels are. I think that the Mark 3 and 4 series have the same drive train as the Triton 300 and 400 series. The key to how smooth the drag is has to be the thrust bearing. My biggest Bluecat caught with a Triton 300 just broke 100lbs and it handled it quite well and actually the fish was over matched by the smoothness of the drag(12-14lbs). I was never close to 20 lbs at any point.  Here are a couple of pictures of the guide Capt Hugh Self holding the 100 pounder.

basto

Nice catch! Look after that reel. All the best.
Basto

raumati01

I just sold one of these and I couldn't find much info about on the net considering it seemed very well built. Didn't have the level wind though.

Dynamo

Very nice blue! Was that on the James? I often fish near the mouth of the river for redfish and seatrout.

hurt locker

Quote from: Dynamo on September 30, 2013, 04:57:35 PM
Very nice blue! Was that on the James? I often fish near the mouth of the river for redfish and seatrout.

Hello, I couldn't find much info either when I first started acquiring these reel. I am sure glad that I did though. They are very good reels for the Cats.

Thanks. Yes, it was caught on the James in Nov. of 2011 around the Dutch Gap vicinity. I have not had the opportunity to fish that far down.

Dynamo

Well if you ever get a chance to come down, then maybe you could fish with me. Just send me a PM.

hurt locker

Quote from: Dynamo on October 01, 2013, 01:22:14 AM
Well if you ever get a chance to come down, then maybe you could fish with me. Just send me a PM.

Thanks for the offer. Not sure when I will get back down. Hopefully March???!!!

Dynamo

April is usually when it starts up, March might hold some blue and white cats though. Of course! I like fishing with company, it makes it alot more fun!

hurt locker

Here is a pic of a Triton Mag Mark III that I modified the gear and the drag stack to a Penn Fathom type drag using Squall 20LW Ht-100's and cut them down to size. Also had to change the eared washer to a keyed washer. I think if I use a thinner bottom keyed washer that I can get 4 eared HT-100's in the stack............Hurt Locker