Shimano Triton 300 Thrust bearing drag system

Started by hurt locker, July 31, 2013, 03:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurt locker

The handle driveshaft goes through the center of the thrust bearing but there is a bushing on top that really does the centering and also transfers the pressure down from the star. There is a little bit of play. It is not as effective as a bearing would be. But the thrust bearing does make the drag different from any other reel that I have worked on or seen. In all of the Triton 300 or Mag Mark 3 reels (20+) that I have worked on the cone washers are always cone to cone and the concave sides are towards the top metal drag plate and the thrust bearing. I believe it has a dual effect of spreading the pressure to the outside of the drag plates and also allows a little bit of roll if there are any high spots in the drag stack. Currently, I have put a 5 stack from Smoothdrag that was made for a Penn Seanator 113H along with a Delrin washer underneath from a Daiwa 47SH and am extremely happy with the performance and smoothness.

Shark Hunter

I came across an older Triton 300. The frame is kind of scratched up. Does anyone know if the 300 and 400 use the same frame? Part# TRN 0117
Life is Good!

hurt locker

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 06, 2015, 08:39:24 PM
I came across an older Triton 300. The frame is kind of scratched up. Does anyone know if the 300 and 400 use the same frame? Part# TRN 0117

The Triton 400 has a wider frame, spool and level wind than the Triton 300. Side plates are inter changeable though. There is a frame for sale on the big site right now, just type in Shimano Triton 400. Hope this helps.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

hurt locker

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 07, 2015, 02:34:05 AM
That's the one I was looking at. Thanks.

Sorry, I misunderstood for some reason(old age probably). Enjoy your 300. I have several and Love them. Hope you find a frame in good shape. I have 2 that have 1+5 drag stacks in them and they are beasts.

Shark Hunter

It is in descent shape. Just the badge is scratched up. I just wondered if it used the same frame as a 400.

Life is Good!