ABU7000 problem

Started by borntofish, March 06, 2010, 04:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

borntofish

I have just fitted an old ABU7000 with carbontex drag washers. The drag is now very smooth but there is now some resistance felt when I turn the handle. More worryingly when I pull line against the drag every now again I will lose all drag pressure and the reel will make a clunking sound. Any ideas what is causing this? Are the carbontex washers changing the drag stack height? Have I reassabled it incorrectly (I'm pretty sure I put the keyed washer in the middle). Another thought is perhaps the pinion gear is worn (can I tell by looking at it)?

PS: this doesn't seem to be an anti-reverse problem as the handle does not move when this occurs.

alantani

sounds like a pinion gear slipping, but that is very rare.  the spring presses against the yoke that holds the pinion gear against the spool.  it should not slip.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

borntofish

What would the remedy be in that case, Alan?

The spring and free spool assembly seem to be in good shape, as does the pinion gear. It didn't seem to occur before I added the carbontex washers. Could it be that the main gear is now sitting a bit higher and this means the pinion is further from the spool? Can the bottom carbontex be sanded down?

PS, when I overtighten the end cap the problem goes away, which tends to back up my theory.

akfish

Look to see if the inside of the pinion gear is worn. If it is, the pinion will slip on the spool under heavy drag pressure. That happens occasionally on some of the Penns I see that have been fished too hard.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

is there any possibility that you forgot to remove the stock drag washer under the main gear before adding the carbontex drag washer?  to drag washers under the main gear might do this as well.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

borntofish

Quote from: alantani on March 06, 2010, 05:31:39 PM
is there any possibility that you forgot to remove the stock drag washer under the main gear before adding the carbontex drag washer?  to drag washers under the main gear might do this as well.  alan

No, just the new washer there. But aren't the carbontex's slightly thicker than the standard washers? Can I sand the bottom one down?

Akfish, the pinion seem to look OK, but I suppose subtle wear would be hard to see by eye. I could try swapping a pinion from my other ABU perhaps or just buy a new one (the reel was bought second hand and appears to have had quite a bit of use).  

BigT

I swapped the Abu 7000 set of Carbontex washers from Smooooth Drag into an ABU 7000 2 weeks ago. They swapped out of the box with no adjustments needed. I think the problem is elsewhere.

Cheers, BigT
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

borntofish

Quote from: BigT on March 07, 2010, 08:36:18 AM
I swapped the Abu 7000 set of Carbontex washers from Smooooth Drag into an ABU 7000 2 weeks ago. They swapped out of the box with no adjustments needed. I think the problem is elsewhere.

Cheers, BigT

I think so. I have put some carbontex's in other ABU's including another 7000 and a 7200 without problem. I think I will order a new pinion gear and might as well replace the main gear as well. I stripped and re-greased the reel and this might have made a worn gear problem more apparent. I'm pretty sure I have re-assembled it correctly.

akfish

Yes, if you replace the pinion you must replace the main gear at the same time because the wear together. If the pinion is worn on the inside, it will be on the internal shoulders that allow it to slip over the spool. It is often hard to tell that this has happened because the pinion is already sloped in that area. If you get a new pinion compare them side by side very closely.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska