Mo's PUM(pick-up-manual) Hack

Started by mo65, April 18, 2020, 03:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Really nice work Mo.  I have resorted to a PUM when I am not able to get a worn out bail assembly to slam shut or stay open and new parts are not available.

Once again, when you open the bail and loops come off the spool there is 360 degrees of twist for each loop.  That is 360 degrees of twist for every four to five inches of line (depending on the spool diameter).  You will be able to tolerate this amount of twist.  When you close the bail and crank the handle there is 360 degrees of twist in the other direction for every revolution of the rotor.  It is twist and un-twist in a steady state all day without accumulating twist.  

When you finally hook a nice one and the fish runs against the drag it is taking line off the spool without twisting it.  When that line is retrieved the bail/rotor adds twist and these accumulate.  A long back and forth tug-of-war will accumulate a lot of extra twists.  Cranking the handle against the drag does the same thing and they accumulate.  

The line roller does not add or remove twists and makes no difference.

When twists accumulate to the point where slack line will start to coil up on itself and tangle, then it is time to manually remove the excess twists by dragging the line behind a boat or something.

It's the same when coiling and uncoiling a garden hose.  When you unpack a new hose that has been coiled tightly you should roll out the hose instead of pulling off loops or it will be a twisted mess and difficult to use.

-steve

oldmanjoe

When you finally hook a nice one and the fish runs against the drag it is taking line off the spool without twisting it.  When that line is retrieved the bail/rotor adds twist and these accumulate.  A long back and forth tug-of-war will accumulate a lot of extra twists.

I believe this is were i accumulate a lot of line twist  .   I like tug of war .  After a game is when the line cork screws around the rod tip.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Ron Jones

That 498 is gorgeous! I have a blue 99 and would love a 499 pro. Yes, I understand that hen's teeth are for sale down the road.
Bail or no bail has ever made much difference to me unless I am throwing a lure. Shimano's QuickFire II is my favorite set up for that.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Quote from: Ron Jones on April 18, 2020, 11:23:24 PM
That 498 is gorgeous!

No doubt...wish that bad boy was mine...prolly worth more than my entire collection! :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

I had to raise the pickup a bit on this one, like many smaller reels, the pickup is pretty close to the spool. Raising it allows room to get your finger under it. The red arrow points to the stack of flat washers I used to accomplish this task...very high tech stuff...:D!!

P.S. Could a Moderator sticky this post? Everyday someone asks basic questions about PUM mods...this thread answers a lot of those questions. 8)

foakes

Sticky done, Mike —

Great photos and explanations.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Gfish

Cool! How'ed you get the bail-arm screw to stay down with all those washers? Low tech. is usually the best tech., and often, for me, my only tech. option.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on July 26, 2021, 04:49:29 PM
Cool! How'ed you get the bail-arm screw to stay down with all those washers? Low tech. is usually the best tech., and often, for me, my only tech. option.

I know G...you'd think it would never be long enough...but it had several threads of length to grab ahold. I guess many reels probably wouldn't have a long enough screw. Actually, not many folks would be modding a reel this small to a manual pickup. Most folks do this on a reel big enough to get your finger under the pickup without issues. But...this may help them in the right direction if they do need finger room. 8)