TIP OF THE DAY

Started by Alto Mare, August 09, 2013, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

My technique as well Fred. The only thing I do differently is to apply grease to the threads of the screw (not to the very tip). This should reduce the possibility of hydraulic lock ;)

steelfish

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 31, 2016, 08:40:28 AM
My technique as well Fred. The only thing I do differently is to apply grease to the threads of the screw (not to the very tip). This should reduce the possibility of hydraulic lock ;)

yep, I also grease the threads of the screw with the same acid brush I used to grase the rest of the reel..just enough to "paint it"

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Not easy holding the inner race on tiny roller bearings to check them, next time try a chopstick :)

You could also hold them upside down, for cleaning and oiling.

Chopsticks will also hold larger size bearings. Try it, I use mine often.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

philaroman

I use porcupine quills (the big African/Asian ones) as bearing holders, no-scratch picks (for reels & line), and float stems

oc1

I use the disposable chop sticks and bamboo skewers (like for grilling).  The skewers are good no-scratch picks for cleaning too.
-steve

gstours

I use a big soupspoon, ;)  fill it about half full with the bearing in it, swirl untill it spills all over the counter,  then you know your really Done!! :P   

David Hall

I'm going to run over to Walmart and see if they have a bag of those African porcupine quills!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

How to apply CorrosionX HD to non-spool bearings et al. Spray into a plastic or glass vial and dunk bearings or wipe using a soft cloth onto reel surfaces. Here's a sample;

BX-500N pinion bearing

Pardon me if this has been posted earlier.

tight lines!

Indyfisher

Mini- ultrasonic cleaner. While soaking bearings for cleaning, I stick the bristle end of a battery operated toothbrush in the bowl of solution. Bam! Works like a little ultrasonic cleaner.

Donnyboat

we had large screws, on the shearing hand peices, to hold the combs on with, the screw drivers were made in a right angle with a nice wide blade also a narrow blade, you could get heeps of perchace on them very rarely slipped, ideal, cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Tired a cotton swab hairs? These are actually cleanable for reuse.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lunker Larry

I use those q-tips too for applying grease, etc. They last a very long time.
Still use regular q-tips for cleaning though.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Alto Mare

Grinding plates really make a lot of dust, I usually do it outdoors, but taking my tools out gets to be a pain.
I do not have a dust collector system in my little workshop, but attaching a vacuum hose to a vise really helps keeping the dust down.
No more need to go out in the cold, or carry the tools outside:

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Sal; do you use dental bits in your mini tool to grind with? I see that little vice is coming in handy  ;) ;D That is a good use for the vacuum nozzle.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

PacRat

I can't answer for Sal but I use dental bits for grinding. They cut bakelite like butter and can be really precise. I don't know where to get them though...I inherited mine from my Grampa (and he wasn't a dentist).
-Mike