TIP OF THE DAY

Started by Alto Mare, August 09, 2013, 12:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I inherited mine from my friend and dental hygienist who was told by her boss to clean this place up and get rid of that old worn out crap.  They're all tiny though so I use the dremel/jeweler/hardware store stuff for most things.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 20, 2017, 03:25:31 AM
Sal; do you use dental bits in your mini tool to grind with? I see that little vice is coming in handy  ;) ;D That is a good use for the vacuum nozzle.

Joe 
This is the set I've been using for over 3 years and they're still doing good:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130885906276?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Don't go testing if they'll cut you or not, but if these touch your hand while using, you should be ok.

I have spent lots of money on rotary tools, H F power tools are worthless. Dremels are ok, but only for light work, if you use them often, they will eventually fail...as mine did.
Here is the tool that I've been using, love it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOREDOM-2230-Jeweler-Rotory-Tool-Kit-/262023623986?hash=item3d01d33532:g:C~IAAOSwu4BV3390
This isn't where i purchased mine, I believe I spent $200 for mine, but didn't have everything needed.
If you shop around you could find good deals, the one I'm showing includes everything andcomes with free shipping, I call it a good deal.
Be careful if you are looking for one, there are some that look appealing at $185, but have the hand piece missing or shaft. The had piece alone will set you back $65.

The vise is working out great, but only for light stuff, I use my 5 1/2 Crafstman when I really need to hold down a piece.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

"Tanizing". Found that inna marine environment things such as my headlamps will last longer before contact corrosion occures, with some marine grease. Especially on any seals. Got some automotive " di-electric" grease for spark plugs, would that also work? Havin a heck ofa time with my phone-charge receptical corroding livin on a smaller Island where all unprotected metal eventually gets that patina(spelling?)on it.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel 224

Sal: Thanks, I have everything except those particular cutters.I use my vice for most of me small work and like you I also have an heaver vice. I haven't tried using the small vice for the vacuum hose yet. ;) ;D

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oc1

That's the same foredom my son has.  Mine is old and on its last legs.  The kid says I should try the diamond impregnated bits he uses for etching glass.  But, he's across the ocean and I'm a cheapskate. 

I was having trouble with my phone charger and someone said to take a needle and pick the lint out of the charging socket.  It was amazing how much stuff came out of such a small space.  You can also replace the charging port.  Sounds scary but there are plenty of instructions on line it's less complicated than working on a shimano.
-steve

JRD

I use a lot of grease when assembling and normally end up with a moderate coat over the whole reel.  A micro fiber rag removes most, polishes and leaves a thin film on the outside. 

Gfish

Plastic acorn nuts(Ace hardware) to keep the end threads safe. Long Beach 259.Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

When a friend gives you a bunch of old reels, 1) don't tell your wife; 2) hide them; 3) they all don't need to be fixed. Some are just as good as Parts reels; 4) hide the fixed reels from your wife until you find a new owner (kid).  5) of the reels you do fix and give to a kid, it's a good idea to have a few other parts reels to cannibalizes from when that sand/salt filled reels comes back to you for repair 😁.

And lastly, find some rods to go with the reel because a reel without a rod is just a paperweight.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

This is for amateurs as myself and not for the pros.
If you are going to attempt doing a double dog on these larger Senators and have limited tools, but do have a drill press, try it along with a set of wood clamps

You can set the ring on the plate in the clamp with vary little pressure, don't worry, the ring will not get deformed, I did many.
You will then maneuver the clamp to the bit and it will come out as it has been done on a milling machine

I was using a standard length dog and a shorter dog on these 12/0's, I now like to use the same length dogs, but the dogs need to be shaped as I did here so you'll have the best contact with the gear ratchet

Oh, springs are titanium, I still have a small piece left, a gift from Gary a long time ago...thanks again Gary.
Just in case someone else wanted to give it a shot, to me this is the best set up.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Thanks Sal for the mention.  If anyone including you Sal wants some PCs of .025 titanium sheet.  I'd be glad to share.  It's heat treated and quite springy but can be cut with good tin snips and filed or ground.   
   Grinding is fun as titanium makes white sparks, not yello, nor orange.
  Also if found that heating the spring stock to a dull red will soften it and make it somewhat softer.
I've been using this material for most of my leaf springs.  It will not rust.  Is a great material.
I'm glad some of this is being used for fishing stuff and not aero space.💁‍♂️🐟

bhale1

Well,,,,, may not be "aerospace" stuff to some, but looks like a little "Rocket Science" going on with those dogs and springs to me ;D
Great job as always guys!
Brett

oc1

Nerves of steel Sal.  Where's the bit from?  Haven't seen that one.
-steve

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on June 05, 2018, 04:21:08 AM
Nerves of steel Sal.  Where's the bit from?  Haven't seen that one.
-steve

This is actually safer, one of the reason I wanted to show it. You will have a hard time trying to get cut with that bit, but don't go for it :).
Those a similar to the bits a dentist uses in your mouth, only larger.
The set is the same as the set mentioned above, the one I'm using  is actually the same bit I've been using for 5 or so years, this should tell you something.
I was doing these with a Foredom, great tool and I still use it almost every day.
But for grinding the plate, using the drill press is a much better way. This gives you lots of control and if you keep it at slow speed, the dust doesn't fly anywhere, it just piles up on the plate.
As I gradually lower the bit, I grab the dust with a svacuum.
By the way, I got this bucket head at Home Depot, using it for a month now and its doing a good job. I believe it was $25, but you will need a 5 gallon bucket. Great tool! if you have limited space, go for it.

Another reason I wanted to show this is with the engagement of the dogs.
Using a dog for the 10/0 and one for the 9/0, or shortening one of the 10/0 dog will work, but I don't like the angle on the shorter dog.
To me the way I'm showing it is the best way, but you guys do what you're comfortable with.

Sal

mhc

Great tips Sal, the wood clamp would be quick to set up and easy to control while you slide it around to make the cuts. I like using the slow speed on a drill press for carbide tips and bakelite as well, it doesn't take much longer to cut and is a lot easier to control - high speed dremels etc are fast but they can make mistakes really fast as well, especially working freehand.
On another note - whose custom sleeve is that with the recess/groove at the base of the teeth? It looks like a good design to help keep the engagement of the dogs clear of any build up of dirty grease etc.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Mike, I'm customizing this reel for a new member.
He had that sleeve shipped with the reel, he was not aware I have some aleady.

I believe they are the early ones from Tom, Cortez Conversions.
The man is a genius.

Sal