sealine 400/450h

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caseymcv

Where can I get the oversized handle for the Sealine 400?

Porthos

ez2cdave

Here is Alan's excellent tutorial on the DAIWA SEALINE H 400H / 450H reel in PDF form for easy download ( Below ) . . . ENJOY !

Tight Lines !

Recoil Rob

Seems when I tear down a reel there are always extra parts on the shaft. My 450 has a small spacer, perhaps 1/8" tall,  between the 2 tension washers on the shaft.
My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
   - Errol Flynn

RowdyW

That's the way the manufacturer puts them together. If you think they are extra parts then take them out & toss them away. You'll probably regret it though.      Rudy

Recoil Rob

Yeah, I know they put it there, so why isn't it on the schematic?

I see the same stuff with Newells, they drew a schematic and decided to go off the reservation, throw in a few extra parts that aren't on the diagram.

- Errol Flynn

RowdyW

Sometimes washers, spacers, etc. are added or subtracted because of machining tolerances and wear. Learn why it is the way it is before thinking something is wrong.

Recoil Rob

Well it was my mistake. This reel had been set up with one of those Aftco Starset drag limiters, the small spacer I found was part of that setup, not put there by Daiwa. Mea culpa.

I'll stick by the Newell comment though, I have 3 Newells I bought new and only one was setup like the schematic. If machining tolerances are off because of wear fix the machining.

- Errol Flynn

Darkhorse

I wish the anti reverse mechanism was shown in detail. Years ago I fished the Diawa Sealine reels in King Mackeral tournaments on the east coast. I had 2 450 or 450H's, I can't remember exactly, and a 450H Anti Backlash with a magnetic cast control, plus a couple of larger ones I used for bottom fishing, and on a downrigger. In the spread I also fished a Diawa Silver spinning reel in the 9000C size. My problem is after we sold the boat these reels were put up for a few years. When I checked them out all but 2 had no anti reverse, now it's just one.
So I would like to see the details about the anti reverse as I want to restore these old reels.

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on December 07, 2008, 04:17:56 PM

..the stock daiwa drag washers will be replaced with a single penn ht-100 #6-855 and a set of five penn ht-100 #6-113h's.  the #6-113h drag washers are thinner that the stock daiwa drag washers and will be doubled up to maintain the proper height.

the drag range is also about the same.  with greased carbon fiber drag washers, the functional drag range for both reels is 10-20#'s with an absolute maximum drag of about 25#'s.  because of the risk of damage to the main gears, i would recommend keeping the drag below 20#'s.  once you change out the drags, the performance of the two reels is identical.

well, I did what Alan did of changing stock drags with HT-100, same exact setup he used with the 5 ht-100 doubled up but I only get 14# max with the line full at the brim in the spool with monofilament line, it might be strong enough for many of the local fish but I was looking for at least  20#, I dont know if that is doable with the drag upgraded the way I did it or maybe the drag will increase a bit if the line is at least at the middle of the spool, but I dont think it will jump from 14# to 20# just for having 1/2 spool of line in the water.

The Baja Guy

RowdyW

Alex, doubleing up the washers doesn't increase the drag much. It still acts like a 3 drag setup. Each double washer acts like a single washer. What you are gaining is you are updateing to CF for better & smoother preformance.        Rudy

steelfish

Quote from: RowdyW on October 27, 2020, 08:23:04 PM
Alex, doubleing up the washers doesn't increase the drag much. It still acts like a 3 drag setup. Each double washer acts like a single washer. What you are gaining is you are updateing to CF for better & smoother preformance.        Rudy

thanks Rudy, I understand that part, but mostly asking for the stock drag numbers of the 400h, since Alan said that "with greased carbon fiber drag washers, the functional drag range for both reels is 10-20#'s with an absolute maximum drag of about 25#'s."

I was expecting to be around those numbers specially the part of "with an absolite max of 25#", I have never used a daiwa 400h in stock form so, I didnt knew how much drag # to expect for the same 3+1 drag setup but now with cabon fiber
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

Hi Alex

Stock configuration for the Sealine 400H/450H is about 15#, and depending on the height, is possible to get close to 18#.  Not sure about 24# from a 3-stack system. 

If you are looking for more, I recommend buying a 5 stack configuration at Mystic Reel Parts (https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/UltimateUpgrades/UU-DAIWA400H.aspx) that I created.  You should easily get 20# with a 5 stack configuration.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 27, 2020, 09:28:35 PM
Hi Alex

Stock configuration for the Sealine 400H/450H is about 15#, and depending on the height, is possible to get close to 18#.  Not sure about 24# from a 3-stack system. 
Bryan

thanks Bryan, then seems that Im getting the same stock drag numbers, I have two 400h reels that belongs to a guy that has not much money and the stock drags are totally worn out, they get around 7# max, so I offered him to clean them and change drags and try to make them at least with the stock drag again or better if I can without spending much money.

I will give one reel with the new 3+1 HT-100 drags to him to put it on test, 15# are sure enough for most of the local fish but there are times when a big gulf grouper or a nice YT take your lure and 15# are not even short to stop them, we need at least 22# to 25# to give them a good fight with this 4/0 sized reel, if you want more drag you have to take a bigger gun for the gulf grouper at least a penn 114h or international reels kind of reels.

if he found those 14# drag short then the only other option is your 5+1 kit for sure.
The Baja Guy

Porthos

Quote from: steelfish on October 27, 2020, 07:44:54 PM...but I dont think it will jump from 14# to 20# just for having 1/2 spool of line in the water...

Applying the principle of levers, force of "load" (Fl) times length of "load" arm (Ll) = force of "effort" (Fe) times length of "effort" arm (Le).

Written out mathematically, Fl x Ll = Fe x Le

Replace "load" with "half" or "h" for 1/2 spool: and "effort" with "full"  or "f" for full spool.

Fh x Lh = Ff x Lf

Lf will be the radius from the center of the spool to the top-of-the line. For this analysis, divide this radius into fifths so that 1/5 is for the radius of an empty spool, 4/5 is the remaining radius to top-of-line of a full spool. If "...1/2 spool of line in water..." means half of the 4/5, then what's left is 2/5 + 1/5 or 3/5 of the original radius.

Now the equation becomes Fh x (3/5)Lf = Ff x Lf for half-the-spool left. Divide both sides by (3/5)Lf and you get:

Fh = (Ff x Lf) / (3/5)Lf

...and this simplifies to Fh = (5/3)Ff

Pluging in the drag value set at full spool, Fh =  (5/3) x 14 lbs = 23.33 lbs drag (and this is before adding in the friction of the line in the water).

If the fish ran half the line straight out and stays horizontal, no biggie, you'll get 20 lbs drag and more...but if it also goes every which way AND down, good luck with that as you stated.