4200ss Ultra Lite - frustrating

Started by Lunker Larry, August 14, 2013, 01:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

A friend asked me to fix the anti reverse in his 4200ss ultra lite reel. Spinning reels are a pain but I said I would look at it for him. I looked on line and these reels have a history of bad anti reverse and hard to fix. I am in agreement.
It appears that absolutely nothing is broken. Everything looks perfect according to the schematics, yet I cannot get the spring to engage the "on/off" button on the back of the reel. It doesn't even seem to reach! Frustrating as hell as everything looks like it should.
Anyone encounter anything like this before or any suggestions?
Parts 230 and 75 in the diagram
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/purefishing/407-4200SS

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Sorry Larry I won't be able to help you, I've never opened one of those.
I believe I do have a short tutorial on the 420ss here, but, from looking at the schematics, that's a different reel all together.
I don't own any graphite reels :-\
Good luck with it, maybe someone else will chime in.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Lunker Larry

I keep going back to it every day hoping for some kind of revelation. No such luck.
Thanks for checking in
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Bryan Young

Sorry, I haven't taken apart any of my ultralight spinners since purchase.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

Larry, I only have 4500ss and above. Do you any pics you can post of the spring, dog and button? That may help us figure it out.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Cone

Larry, I found this.  https://www.mysticparts.com/Repair/SSantireverse.aspx  I hope this helps.  Bob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Cone on August 14, 2013, 04:08:50 PM
Larry, I found this.  https://www.mysticparts.com/Repair/SSantireverse.aspx  I hope this helps.  Bob

Thanks but yep, found that. Looks so simple. The spring, which has a tag on each end, just clips in a groove around the shaft, drops into the anti reverse dog on the left and sticks up to engage the switch on the right..so they say.

Cone

Well, if it doesn't reach either a piece has broken off or the spring is bent. Let us know what you find. Bob

Bryan Young

Looks easier than it is.  I just hate those situations.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

GulfOfBothnia

I have a 4200ss reel. Very little used... couple of years ago I had some troubles that was caused by dried / hardened grease (original factory grease).
My problem was not with ar but I can easily imagine that dried grease could cause those symptoms as well.

Lunker Larry

I cleaned everything inside so grease is not the problem. Put it all back together for the 50th time or so and the anti reverse is working, but it does not engage the on/off button.
So as an update, the anti reverse is working although I have no idea what I did different. Just can't turn it off. Pretty much given up and the owner doesn't want to spend anything on it so he's happy with it as it is. Have no idea if it is going to last.
I am now with the quorum that spinning reels are, to put it lightly, aggrevating.
thanks for the posts everyone.