Tiagra 130A

Started by kamuwela, March 12, 2010, 04:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

was it ever submerged or shot with a very heavy stream of water?  you can see how well the reel is sealed up.  it takes ALOT of water to get past those seals!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

if you're going to fish with a reel until it dies, the tiagra was (at the time) the reel that would last the longest. 

lawaia

Thanks very much for your replies, Alan.

This reel has been fished only 20 times over the 15 months since it was bought.  It's never been submerged nor shot with a stream of salt water although we have had waves break into the cockpit over the gunnels (where the reels are deployed) while trolling in rough water.  Any 'submersion' from those waves would be brief and not a total immersion but do you think that might explain what I found?  I'm still in shock over the amount of salt in that relatively new reel especially given how well it seemed to be sealed.

All my reels are rinsed with fresh water after every trip, with the drags engaged as you advised years ago, and except for this one all continue to work flawlessly including ones several years older than this one.  The Tiagras have been so reliable and dependable that I thought they would last until I die. ;D

alantani

don't rush the latter. get some grease BEHIND the drag washer, too.  that is the one problem spot with this reel.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=382.0

kamuwela

i have hardley seen tiagras that bad, my opinion is the water gets between the spool and enters through the center hole on the drag cover. second place ive seen water enter is the clicker. in the pic it looks like the bulk of salt is at the center of the drag.

lawaia

OK, with Kamu's insight, it seems that my reel got hit by a big bunch of water when a wave broke over the gunnel (filling the cockpit about a foot deep before draining out).  (Rough day outside Haleiwa, Kamu.)  In a likely scenario, that water got between the spool and frame and into the left side plate, filling it above the half way point before draining out the little puka near the stand.  With water above the half way point (or center) of the left side plate. some water could enter the drag housing mechanism via the center hole of the cooling shield.  Once inside, it would have nowhere to go except to eventually evaporate and leave the salt I found.  The couple of photos I took (below) seem to support that theory since the salt is concentrated at the low point of the shield and spool.

As I said previously, all's well that ends well; the reel is working fine and some knowledge was gained, with no fish lost.

Mahalo once again, Alan and Kamu!

Nessie Hunter

I see a lot of Salt crystal also in reels...

Here is a short video of them growing.. 
Amazing how big the end result is!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

i'll bet this will clean up nicely. 

lawaia

Wow, Nessie, that video of salt crystals growing is scary, especially to think that might happen inside a reel.

Alan, I'm stoked that my reel did clean up so easily and completely, just by running hot water over the salt.  It prob'ly helped that the crystals were fresh and hadn't completed dried/hardened.  And I did then dry the parts, wipe everything down with oily rags, and coat everything with grease before reassembling.  (I didn't take any pix of the clean parts 'cause by then I had grease figuratively up to my elbows that the camera didn't need on it.)  I did also check all the other reels and they're good, so I guess that one reel must've taken the brunt of the waves that broke over the gunnels into the cockpit back in June.  While the cleaned reel seems just fine, the final proof of the work I did won't come until I get a big fish with it, hopefully soon. ;D

Aloha and mahalo for the input.

Nessie Hunter

Ye sit is scary and they do grow like that inside Reels..
The salt is very acidic and starts to eat away the metals also...

Br afraid, be very afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-[
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

redsetta

Quote(Rough day outside Haleiwa...)
I surfed around there through the late '80s/early '90s - some big water and hefty currents, especially when Avalanches is breaking.
One of my favourite places on the Shore.
Good to hear it all worked out.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

lawaia

North shore surf forecast to have 20-25 foot faces on Tuesday. :o  I'm staying home...