Shimano's Malaysian Reels

Started by Roger, March 13, 2010, 05:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

I posed this question on another forum wanting to see how many different models Shimano made in Malaysia. I was shocked.....

Here's the link

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=264598
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

I would like to know how many Penn reel models are now made in the USA. Having had one bad experience with a Chinese made Penn I have no desire for another.

alantani

steve carson says that anything retailing over $200 is made in the US, anything under is made in china.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Thank's Alan,nice that the high end reels are still made in the USA. Long may it last.

dylan

Wolli

my Saragosa, i obtained last year from an American dealer, wears a label "Made in Malaysia"
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Irish Jigger

Ordered a Shimano Spirex and a Stradic from the US only to find they were both made in Malysia. Worst reels I ever had and to compound matters the UK Shimano Service Dept (Felinder Servicing) refused to even discuss spares with me other than tell me to "Ship them back to where you bought them". Never bought Shimano again.

Bryan Young

Hey Irish Jigger,  Don't fret.  I get the same response from Daiwa and Shimano that I got in Japan even though there are American equivalent parts.  It must be a "trade" issue.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

Yes Bryan I agree,this has happened to a lot of my friends with Shimano and Daiwa reels. I imagine you have the same problems sourcing parts for JDM reels in the US.

Wolli

same with FIN-NOR reels . My OFS750 (baught 1998 in the USA) was already made in China. The brand new reel failed during first jigging trip in Bali and i had to stop fishing that day. Not really a pleasure to see the GTs and AJs from the fishing friends....Sure, was my fault not to have a spare reel with me.

back to Germany i claimed the defect anti-revers system to Fin Nor and they send me some replacement springs which solved the problem up tp now.

As a conclusion if forget the warrenty, strip down new reels, check all components, regrease with CorrosionX, and take special care that all screws are tightened firmly. From that date i never had any troubles with my new reels, from the smallest up to the big 50W-II
i baught end of last year in Bali.

Rgds, Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)