Penn keyed drag washers, 57A-750 & 57-704... Difference?

Started by ChileRelleno, August 18, 2013, 09:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

I'm still trying to better understand the interaction of the parts in a drag stack.
Does the differences between these two parts, diameter x thickness, really affect their order in the drag stack?
It seem rather insignificant, but if Penn designed it this way, I guess it must matter.

Out of boredom and the inability to discern a difference by hand/eye, I measured them using digital calipers.
One part is consistent, the other varies.

57A-750 Washer, Drag Washer, Metal (Keyed) Large
.810 x .036
.810 x .036
.810 x .036
.810 x .036

57-704 Washer, Drag, Metal, Keyed Metal Drag Washer (Small Dia.)
.805 x .028
.807 x .028
.808 x .029
.810 x .029
.811 x .030

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Let me simplify this question, so maybe I will get an answer.

When assembling the drag stack on many Penn SS series reels, do you actually pay attention to the Large vs Small keyed washers?
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Keta

Quote from: ChileRelleno on August 19, 2013, 03:37:09 AM
Let me simplify this question, so maybe I will get an answer.

When assembling the drag stack on many Penn SS series reels, do you actually pay attention to the Large vs Small keyed washers?

I replace the smaller ones with larger ones but have them cut out of .035 SS and slightly larger than factory if they fit.

It looks like you have mismatched parts too.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/57A-750.aspx

"Replaces original part number 57A-704 in the 747/757 reels
This washer is also a substitution for original part number 57-700 on Spinfisher 700 reel"

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Keta on August 19, 2013, 02:45:17 PM
I replace the smaller ones with larger ones but have them cut out of .035 SS and slightly larger than factory if they fit.

It looks like you have mismatched parts too.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/57A-750.aspx

"Replaces original part number 57A-704 in the 747/757 reels
This washer is also a substitution for original part number 57-700 on Spinfisher 700 reel"

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
So you advocate just using the 57A-750 washers, that works for me, one less part to keep in a drawer.

LOL... No, "I" do not have any mismatched parts, but apparently PennFishing.com or MysticParts.com does.
A lot of parts replacing other parts and compatible on multiple reels.

Ragnar Benson:

The-Surfisher

Hi
I have the same problem,apparently whoever supplies Mystic and others keep sending the smaller keyed washers.

RowdyW