Daiwa Saltist 30H Quick spool bearing service.

Started by Dan, March 18, 2010, 09:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I have a Daiwa Saltist 30H where one of the spool bearings had a bad case of unwillingness to spin freely. So I got a new bearing and thought I'd take some pics of the process to show how easy it is to change them / clean & lubricate them.

For a complete breakdown of a saltist see Alans excellent post here.

First the reel:

There are 3 screws holding the side plate in place, remove those and the side plate. A little tip, see those small red plastic things for the centrifugal break, they fall off, easily ;)

the large spool bearing:

The small spool bearing is underneath this. It's just one screw that holds it in place

The bearing is exposed:

Pull both bearings and put them in a glass jar or something. I use lighter fluid to clean away the old oil and contaminants.

Now, I urge you to be responsible. We're all sports fishermen here that enjoys what nature gives us. This stuff should not just be held out in the sink or poured outside. I collect my used lighter fluid in a glass jar and then deposit it at the local gas station where they accept a toxic material and sends it of to be taken care of properly.

I let them soak in approx 10 minutes, if I see a lot of contamination blurring the fluid I usually change it at least once. Then I take the bearings out and let them dry for 10 minutes as well.

Time for some oil, I use Rocket Fuel Red Label to get a little bit of resistance so that casting will be easier, and when I use them for boat fishing insane freespool times aren't needed anyway.

Put it all back together in the reverse order. But be carefull when screwing the sideplate screws back together, if you use grease on the screws I'd be moderate in applying it and be absolutely sure the threads align, more than a few saltist casings have been known to crack!

It's an easy quick job, hope it helps!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!