TUTORIAL: Penn Spinfisher 6500SS spinner

Started by BigT, March 19, 2010, 06:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

well, guys, what do you think?  into the penn section?  or to a board for spinners only.......

great work!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dan

Maybe just stick it in the penn section, and move it to a spinner forum/section if you get enough spinner rebuilds in the future :)

alantani

will do, but i want to leave it up here on top for a while longer! ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BigT

Does anyone know what the drag material is inside a Penn Affinity Applause... lt looks like an HT100 washer but without the carbon impregnated in the fibreglass. Does this mean it's just fibreglass matting or perhaps a downgraded version of the HT100 material?

Cheers, BigT
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

bowbliss

I like the idea of a spinner board.  Nice job on the breakdown.

Gman_WC

Nice job on the report BigT.
I know the older penn SS metal is the standard for toughness, but can anyone tell
me how they stack up against the new penn models ( Battle or Fierce) ?
I'm not a spinning saltwater kind of guy and spending more than $200 on one
is not going to happen unless I'm making my money on the water. -g
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

I personally do not like the newer models ssm, these reels are made in China. I had the opportunuty to test a 9500ssm along with my ss models and didn't like the way the finish on the newer model reacted to salt especially the screws and chromed parts, my ss models still look the same as the day I bought them. I now have about 30 ss reels , most are 650, 6500, 750 , 7500 and  one 9500, all ss models,   I sold my 9500ssm . These are some of  the reels that we in the North East coast trust. Hope that helps, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gman_WC

Thanks Sal. I"ll keep my eyes on Ebay for one at a good price. Looking for one in the 650 size. It sized about right.
I test drove a friends 950ss on a surf rod. What a tank. -g 
Walnut Creek, CA

Alto Mare

-g, the 950ss is a little big for a surf rod, but it's a heck of a shark reel. I do a little surf fishing at the end of the boating season and use the 6500ss or 7500ss, these are also a little heavy but, when targeting cows anywhere from 30lb to 50lb that's a small price to pay. You should be able to find one in the neighborhood of $100. Although most guys don't like to work on spinners, these model reels are not that hard to work on and mantain. If you buy one, it will probably come with 2 HT100 carbontex washers and 2 teflon washers, it is a good idea to also replace the 2 teflon washers with the HT100 carbontex . Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nathanbrand

Thanks BigT!  This information is invaluable.

I was able to totally disassemble, clean, lube, and reassemble my Penn 650SS.
Something I wouldn't even had attempted, if not for this tutorial.

I have a couple of questions I didn't see addressed:

1) Do you lube or oil the the upper end of the spool shaft (part #39) at all? The part that lies directly beneath the thrust washer (part #60).

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa470/nathanbrand/PennSpoolShaftCloseUp.jpg

2) Do you lube or oil inside the drag knob (part #52)?

Also, one thing the neophytes like myself may need to be aware of is that there is a pin hole
on the bottom of the anti-reverse trip cam (part #236) that the spring (part #6D) needs to be inserted into in order to align the spring correctly with the retaining mount.

One other thing that threw me off was that I didn't see the steps for reattaching the rotor (Part #27), so I went ahead and attached the spool shaft without the rotor. :-[ I was literally following along your step-by-step process.  :)

I'm not meaning to be critical here. This tutorial is fantastic, and I couldn't have managed without it. I just wanted to share my experiences with other newbies out there who may be breaking down a reel for the first time.

Now, I just need you to do one of these work-ups for my Saragosa. ;D

Thanks again for your great work.

ErnieK

Woah! What a resource this board is.  My entire reel fleet are Newell conventional reels, Alans Newell board is amazing, couple that with Bryan's drag systems and now those old dogs are top of the heap for me.  Anyway, I'm taking my family offshore fishing and I wanted to have a moderately sufficient reel for my two young daughters to use (6 and 8yo) and I have my original Penn 550ss sitting in the way back of the closet.  It's been there sitting for more than 25?? years and was kind of a mess.  Quick google search on how to rebuild these things, bam, result AlanTani.com 

What a perfect set of instructions.  The reel is back to its super smooth ways and I'm so excited that we'll have a chance to pull on some fish this summer with my old Penn Spinfisher.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this site and this thread.  Awesome - Ernie

ez2cdave

Quote from: alantani on March 23, 2010, 08:00:42 AM
well, guys, what do you think?  into the penn section?  or to a board for spinners only.......

great work!  alan

Once again . . . Here is the TUTORIAL in PDF form for easy download . . . ENJOY ! ! !

pawleys

Big Big thanks to Big T!

This tutorial is absolutely fabulous, so fantastic, however, no mention is made about reinstalling the rotor, washer, and nut.

The missing step is between
"Reinstall the re-lubed right side bearing (key #20A)"
and
"before greasing and reinstalling the oscillator gear (key #231)"

The missing reinstallation step right here is:

Reinstall the rotor nut (key #38) and washer (key #37) beneath, along with the rotor itself.

Surf fishing in the Atlantic Ocean with trusty Penn Spinfisher spinning reels, 6500ss and 7500ss.