shimano 4000fa service / modification

Started by Ron Jones, September 16, 2013, 07:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

So, I have had this reel for 13ish years. I am starting to play with spinners and have caught a LOT of fish with this reel on a 8.5 ft Shimano Titanium rod. We were a steady feature every winter on the Elwa river between the dam and the res for many years. It is now time to give it some love.

I would like to get rid of the QuickfireII and improve the AR if possible. I am going to swap out the drags for CF, it looks like I could make 5+1 fit but I really don't see why when the spool only holds 280 yards of .20 line. It is spooled with 20# Fire Wire and it is in good shape.

So, is their a tutorial on here that is close? Any idea on the QuickFireII or AR?

Thanks, I'm new to most things spinners.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

philaroman

which model 4000FA??? Regardless of model, the following should hold true:

1) BECAUSE your reel has QuickFire, it has a one-point/self-centering A/R (so the QuickFire trigger always ends up correctly positioned under your finger).  SuperStopperII roller bearings are definitely incompatible with that type of frame.  At best, you could possibly find a compatible multi-point (6-8 teeth?) Shimano A/R ratchet, which would still give you some backplay & won't quite cooperate with the QuickFire

2) if you get rid of the QuickFire trigger & you you want to do it RIGHT, you'll have to weigh EVERYTHING you remove & replace the weight with lead, OR shave off EXACTLY that much from the opposite side of your rotor -- otherwise, you'll throw it off balance & make it wobble

3) you may want to think twice about using PE lines w/ bigger QuickFire Shimano's:

• the post that engages the A/R is an extension of the main frame -- not a replaceable part...  if it snaps, your A/R is DONE!!!
  • with one-point/self-centering A/R, the rotor may travel up to one full revolution before that post gets slammed
  • on a 1000-size that's fine, but a 4000 rotor builds up too much momentum for repeated shocks from non-stretch lines

Ron Jones

I apreciate your help.

It is a TX4000FA. Definatly nowhere near top of the line.
I have fished with Quickfire reels for a long long time, but I am getting to the point where A/R is one of the most important things to me. If I can't get rid of it that's fine.
The reel was spooled with PE when it was new, and that was over a decade ago. It is going strong so I'm gonna stick with it.

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

philaroman

Hey, my best ever K-Mart purchase was a display model TX-4000F for $15 -- made in Singapore, before any Shimano was ever made in Malaysia; it took about a decade of abuse, poor maintenance, braid, and even a little SW/sand to kill it, LOL...  you're right -- the one-point A/R is the biggest drawback & upgrading it is too much trouble, even if possible.  You can, however, improve your TX quickly & easily by adding a second BB (RD 0930) to the main gear, instead of the plastic bushing (RD 2293) & upgrading to a better BB line roller.  Personally, I really like Shimano's older solid SiC line rollers for braid -- more so, than any later coated metal PowerRoller.

The "snapped post" thing I mentioned before is something I noticed on several Malaysian silver/gold frames like Spirex -- never on a black frame.  I use braid almost exclusively; I still have a bunch of original, black, Japanese QuickFire Symetre/Solstace/Sidestab from the early 80's; all have 2 BB's on the main gear & still going strong...  that's 30ish y. o. -- not merely 13ish.

In short, spruce up your TX with a couple extra bearings & FISH ON!!!

Ron Jones

Cool,
I'm not a bearing nut as a rule, but plastic has absolutly no business in a reel. I can still remember the first day I saw a graphite skirted reel in the 5th wheel. It was in the mid 80s, I had no idea that their were any reels in existence except Penn conventionals, Mitchel 300s and "junk." The graphite reels the old man got were all rear drag Shimanos. We fished the pee out of those from the Mexican border to the Sacramento river, from the Pacific to the Colorado. We destroyed some of them,  but it took a lot. I will fish this reel until I die.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"