Jigging for Black Sea Bass

Started by mrbrklyn, September 20, 2013, 04:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

Anyone have experience using jiggs for Black Sea Bass fishing?  I have read that you are more likely to hook bigger fish this way.

Ruben

Bunnlevel Sharker

I've caught a few bottom fishing off shore when trolling was slow, we used cut cigar minnows and cut bottom fish. For lighter jigging for any fish I would suggest 40-50lb braid and a 30-50 lb mono or fluro leader depending on fish activity
Grayson Lanier

Bucktail

Jigging for sea bass can be a fun way to spend an afternoon.  Sea bass aren't usually picky, so when you get into them the action can be fast and furious.  They are a perfect choice to target when you want to bring a child fishing. 

Try a bucktail jig, or a plain or hammered diamond jig without the tube tail.  You can tip them with a Gulp! Swimming Mullet or a strip of squid.  A few years ago I was given the opportunity to test the Shimano Lucanus jigging system.  They worked well, but at $15 retail, and considering where you will most likely be fishing for sea bass (wrecks, rocks & reefs), and considering you will probably hang some of them, that cost may be a factor.  Fortunately there are other knock-off brands out there now that go for quite a bit less.

Hope this helps.  Let us know how you do!

-Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

Bunnlevel Sharker

Sounds like you need a different rod then honestley
Grayson Lanier

floating doc

I am still working out the lucanus system.  I tried the jigs with a light but fairly stiff graphite stand up rod. I missed a lot of fish. When I looked at the Shimano promotional videos they emphasized using a very light tipped rod to allow the fish to work on the jig for a bit without being able to detect the rod pulling back.

The videos are on YouTube.

I have found black sea bass very eager to hit small diamond jigs.
Central Florida

Bucktail

floating doc,

Yes, a soft tip is preferred with the Lucanus jigs.  You're supposed to just let them nibble until they load up the rod and pretty much hook themselves.
Just a jig-a-lo