TLD 15 Main drive gear

Started by Phinaddict, March 24, 2010, 08:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phinaddict

Hi all,

I picked up a TLD 15 with a main gear that either needs welding or replacement.
It looks like the shaft is pinned to the gear. And in my case, the pin has chipped out somehow.
The shaft will turn, roughly, on the gear, which I believe it should not do.

Can the shaft be welded in place  or should I just replace it? Anyone with an extra  one for sale
before I call She-man, oh?

Thanks
Gene
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

alantani

if some can weld it, it should work just fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phinaddict

I 'll give it a shot. weld it up, grind it down and keep my fingers crossed....
It should work. Alan, Akfish Bill, have you guys seen many of these main gears fail in this manner?

akfish

I have seen a couple fail that way, but not many. I very frequently have to change gears in the single speed TLD reels. I think the reason is that people fish them too hard causing the frame to torque and the gears to misalign. Without seeing your particular gears, I'd be reluctant to weld the main gear and put it back to work. I'll bet that it needs to be replaced anyway. Just my guess.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

it's got a pin in it.  if you can drill out the pin and then weld that one spot, it should work fine.  you'll have to grind it down afterwards.  if you do end up ordering a new main gear, remember to get a new pinion gear with it.  they should always be replaced as a set.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phinaddict

After all the hand wringing, I look at the shaft and notice it isnt concentric with the gear; it was benton top of everything else.
Into the trash it went and then a call to Shimano for a new one...."out of stock until June? OK, I will wait. Can you send it to me then? Great!"